Sharpening ceramic knives

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MickG

Forager
Feb 2, 2009
Blackwood South Wales
Hi
I can put an edge on metal blades that will slice paper and take hair off my arm
BUT I can not sharpen my ceramic kitchen knives
I have a sharpener that will hold stones for sharpening my metal knives at the correct angle and I have managed to fit my flat diamond sharpeners in the holder
I put a sharpie on the edge of the ceramic blade and run it along the edge and then file away until the mark is worn way
I use three grades down to fine but I do not know the size of diamond ie 600 grit-1000 grit

Any one with experience of sharpening these knives?
Thanks
Mick

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I tried on a piece of a big ceramic kitchen knife that broke when dropped. Nothing happened.
I do not own any abrasive (eg diamond) which is hard enough to do anything to a ceramic blade.
No evidence at all but I'm beginning to wonder if it isn't a combination of diamond grit and high speed.
Not like you need to worry about heating and temper.

MickG

Forager
Feb 2, 2009
Blackwood South Wales
I have seen an American using an electric sharpener based on an electric file Like Black and Decker
He had diamond belts and a guide to get the correct angle
I do not know of anyone who makes diamond belts for Black and Decker
Mick

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
MickG = Google "diamond grit sharpening belts". The stuff is all over the place. I did not know that.

I'll stick to steel, as soft as it is by comparison. Prepping meals with black blades is just not in my head.
Grossly tarnished carbon steel Asian cleavers = OK. Black and white knives, not for me.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE