sharpening a spoon knife

toilet digger

Native
Jan 26, 2011
burradon northumberland
having been given a spoon knife for my birthday.
i have been spooning with gay abandon :D usually straight through but do any of you chaps have any tips on keeping yon curly knife sharp(ish) ?
thanks jamie.

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
a bit of wet and dry wrapped around something smooth and round (a piece of dowelling or your finger for example) is a good way of looking after the internal edge, you can use stropping paste in the same way, for the external edge just sharpen it as you would any blade.

hope that helps

staurt

Ian S

On a new journey
Nov 21, 2010
Edinburgh
I sharpen the outside curve of a spoon knife on wet & dry, but I have the knife in line with the long edge of the paper, and rotate the curve on the paper. I have the handle at 90 degrees to the orientation that I'd use for sharpening a straight bladed knife.

Cheers

use a bit of 1/4" by 1" baton 6" long shape one side to match the inside curve of the knife an round the edges to use it wrapped in Wet n dry flat side for the outside bevel curved for the inside you can also wrap a piece of soft leather with auto sol polish on it for a final strop and to keep the edge good while using should mean a long time between using the wet n dry

ATB

Duncan

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE