Sharpening a billhook

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Aug 18, 2006
Beds
I bought a billhook from a second-hand toolshop the other day, intending to use it for cutting back undergrowth. It's blunt and rusty (a thick, brown, polished patina rather than a corroded mess) and needs sharpening.

So I googled around and found that

a) it's qute a good one (Fussels Improved)
b) I need to give it an obtuse edge and then clean it up with a stone.

So I started with a bench grinder, but was wary of overdoing it. I'm looking for a bit of advice on how to do a decent job. I've got a small bench grinder and a hand stone (canoe, I think) available.

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
Welcome to the forum Adrian.

Beware the bench grinder ! More edged tools have been ruined on a bench grinder than have ever been worn out through proper use. You should find that a good quality file will cut the steel of the billhook and allow you to re-profile the edge to exactly how you want it to be. Failing that, it's going to be a case of working slowly away at it with the hand stone if you don't want to run the very real risk of blueing the edge on the bench grinder and effectively ruining the tool.

There are those here who use and love billhooks, so I have little doubt that one of them will come up with more practical solutions before long, but in the meantime, PLEASE don't take the hook to the grinder, just in case....

BTW, I think the edge profile you actually want is more normally referred to as a "convex edge" ( Like a properly sharpened axe has) rather than "obtuse" as obtuse means an angle of greater than 90 degrees and this would be a VERY heavy-duty sort of edge and would make cutting ruddy hard work.

I see that you are in Bedfordshire... Which end of the county? I am in Milton Keynes and could reprofile the hook for you if you wanted to drop it over to me.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Longstrider said:
I see that you are in Bedfordshire... Which end of the county? I am in Milton Keynes and could reprofile the hook for you if you wanted to drop it over to me.

Adrian,

Heres a hint....say "yes please" ;) I've seen pictures of Longstriders work - I can do it too (given 10 years of training and another 10 of practice and....actually...I will never be that good :D )

Red

Aug 18, 2006
Beds
Yes, I agree about the angle - the website I found made a point of saying that what they described as 'obtuse' wasn't actually >90, just 'less acute'.

What should I do about the rust ? I can leave it as-is, or I could try removing it (I'm told electrolytic removal is quite gentle). Any thoughts ?

Longstrider said:

I was going to take the suggestions onboard and have a go myself, but after British Red's recommendation, how could I refuse ? I'm in Bedford, so not too far away. Thanks very much - please email me if you want to arrange something.

Aug 18, 2006
Beds
Ed said:
Your a very lucky man... not too many of them left about.... I know Jack has one, and so do I :)
Ed

I picked it because it seemed to be in good condition and have a nice balance - I know very little about them. There were, however, quite a few billhooks in the same shop : I have no idea if any others were Fussels, but if someone's in the area (the Tool Box, Colyton, Devon) they might like to take a look. Most (but not all) have been rehandled - quite well, as far as I can see.

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
There is probably no better tool in the world than a billhook for coppicing a stand of hazel by hand or for hurdle-making. It has that advantage of a relatively fast blade (good for whippy sticks and the like) whilst carrying enough weight to make cutting heavier wood not too much of a task.
I don't know if I'm alone in seeing it this way, but I view the billhook as the traditional British answer to the sort of problems solved by those in warmer climes with the invention/development of the machete or parang.
I have a very old Burmese machete that I can use effectively for the sort of tasks that would have the owner of a billhook reaching for it.

I was going to suggest that they be used for hooking bills, but (a) I get enough **** bills as it is, and (b) the RSPB might have something to say on the matter... :lmao:

led

Settler
Aug 24, 2004
uk
It's a small fence panel...

AMB_Whole-Hazel-Hurdle.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE