Sharpener - DC4 or something else?

N

Nomad

I was on the verge of buying a Fallkniven DC4 sharpener, when I found out that the ceramic stone part had changed in recent times. While this would be intended as a field sharpener, the chances are that it would be used at home as well.

In reviews on the net, there has been mention of little nodules in the ceramic, one or two have said that their stone was concave (the blade runs along the edges), and that the density of the ceramic material is inconsistent. It has also been said that the ceramic can be dressed somewhat, either by using a cheap (expendable) knife at first, or working a diamond sharpener or other abrasive over it. Having said all that, yet others have said that the ceremic on their stone was okay.

Do the problems persist, or were these just due to a dodgy batch or early production problems?

If they do persist, does dressing of the ceramic result in a surface that produces as good an edge as the earlier type of DC4?

If not, what alternatives are there? The size seems about right for field use, and I like the inclusion of the diamond surface. My field use would be for touching up the knife, and probably a hatchet as well.

If it's good enough for use in the field (perhaps after being dressed), but will not be satisfying at home, what is a good choice for use at home?

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
I always use a DC4 in the field, and sometimes at home too. A good choice for at home for me is a couple of big bench stones. (800, 1200 and 6000 grit)

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I've one of the later DC4's and its not clever compared to the old stones.

Saying that, It puts an edge on my axes and knives that are the equal of my DMT whetstones and paddle strop or belt with autosol.

I flattened the ceramic on a diamond whetstone and after a few rubs on a rough hatchet, the inconsitent size lumps of diamond have gone. Its the same with all the cheaper diamond stones, they tend have lumps of abrasive. They mostly all pop out with use to leave a consistent surface.

I'd buy another.

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
After using lots of different methods and stones and the like my preference now is for DMT duofolds, the blue/red or red/green if you want finer, followed by a strop. In the field the blue/red would probably be sufficient for a good edge yet still able to take out minor chips. Much easier to use than the DC4 due to the folding handles.

I also have a green/ceramic duofold but don't rate the ceramic side much.

Cheers, Paul

N

Nomad

The Spyderco Double Stuff looks pretty good (just watched a youtube video of it in use). The concern I have about the diamond sharpeners is that they seem to remove a lot of metal easily. Okay for fixing up a blade that needs a lot of work, but I"m not so sure about having one as the only sharpener. I'm also not sure how long they last.

N

Nomad

I went with the Spyderco DoubleStuff for field use. After thinking about it, I seem to have a slightly irrational aversion to diamond sharpeners - was thinking of getting one for use at home, along with a stone or two. In the end, I went with the full Ice Bear set, as used by uncle Ray. Best deals I found were...

Kit with 800 + 6000 grit stones, holder and Nagura stone - £53.95 with free shipping at Toolman...

http://www.toolman.co.uk/index.html

1200 grit intermediate stone - £19.99 + £3.99 shipping from MK Tools on eBay...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/180998266930?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

I found out about the Toolman price via a google search that unearthed a thread on British Blades, dating from June 2011, so I was pleased find that the current price is still the same. I went to the Toolman site, put "ice bear" into the site search, and it turned out they have the same kit listed three times, at different prices. (I don't know why, and I didn't ask.)

Total cost was £77.93, which is a lot cheaper than anywhere else that I could find. The MK Tools price for the 1200 stone is good, but the Toolman price for the main kit is a bargain.

Amon81

Nomad
Mar 9, 2009
Birmingham
I use a DC4 on my folders mainly (though not me scandi S30v). The new ones aren't nearly as good as the old ones, they work, but don't really polish anywhere nearly as well. I keep a strop I made with me and use that after which finishes them shaving sharp.

If you want a toothy edge the new ones are great for that though. It brings up Sandvik 12 C27 a treat on my Eka folder in seconds, it makes it glide through an inch of meat like a hot knife through butter.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE