sharp n shiny

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

risby

Forager
Jun 21, 2005
dorset, uk
Just received from Justin Gingrich (Ranger Knives)

ordered 23rd Dec 2005 received 23rd Jan 2006, parcel force didn't get their grubby mitts on it

Overall Length: 10 inches
Handle and exposed blade both 5 inches
Steel: ATS-34
Scales: Desert Ironwood

sleeping ...

and awake

It shaved my forearm straight out of the packaging
if I had another I could use it as a shaving mirror

It's a great big knife

but, somehow, looks quite dainty in the hand

Tutchi

Forager
Nov 15, 2005
Scotland
Hi
thats the Bee's Knees. It is like the one I had made too beautiful to use :) I would be terrified it became marked so it has become a keeper and taken out just to look at and enjoy. Sad arn't I? :27:

Tutchi
:cool:

risby

Forager
Jun 21, 2005
dorset, uk
soup_monger said:
That looks like a great knife,
Are you going to take it out and about or keep it indoors (except for photo shoots) and admire it? :)

I took it out last weekend. I cut through and shaped the end of a piece of two inch diameter fallen wood. I was very conscious of having to be discreet with it though which is a bit of a shame, I don't want to be skulking around with it.

soup_monger

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 30, 2005
EDINBURGH AND PERTH
Well Risby,
The better part of valor is discretion and I commend you for taking it out and using it as it was intended to be used.
I have been thinking about getting an ATS34 blade for the collection (I need one...honest ;) )
Can you tell me first hand how the edge holding stands up to wood cutting?
Cheers

risby

Forager
Jun 21, 2005
dorset, uk
soup_monger said:
Well Risby,
The better part of valor is discretion and I commend you for taking it out and using it as it was intended to be used.
I have been thinking about getting an ATS34 blade for the collection (I need one...honest ;) )
Can you tell me first hand how the edge holding stands up to wood cutting?
Cheers

Well, I have to say I wanted to know how a razor sharp forearm hair cutting capability translated to usefulness in the 'wild'. I was just so impressed with my Gransfor Bruks axe's ability to slice through two inch diameter stems in one slice and I wondered if this super sharp knife would be as impressive (since I don't really need clean shaven forearms).

I happily spent a few minutes pushing the blade into the wood, turning it with each cut, and it made very quick work of cutting through the branch. It was also very good at whittling the end of the shaft to make a smoothly rounded end. I was absorbed in this when I heard someone walking along a parallel path about twenty feet away. Having thought I was quite alone here I guiltily jumped, quickly stowed the knife away in its sheath and wandered off whistling innocently.

So, it hasn't done much work as yet but it has retained its edge and is still shaving sharp. This short bit of exercise hasn't resulted in any scratches to the mirror finish either which I well pleased about. I have been puzzled for a while about how a kitchen sponge with a plastic abrasive edge managed to scratch my Sabatier flexible fish filleting knife. Surely, I thought, any sort of stainless steel is going to be harder than any sort of plastic fibre. But it seems not! The shiny bevel on my Sami high carbon steel blade has also become scratched through use but, as I say, the ATS-34 shows not a mark, as yet anyway.

soup_monger

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 30, 2005
EDINBURGH AND PERTH
Good stuff Risby, thanks. I suppose you will just have to go deeper into the woods next time you want to use your blade. :)
Those scouring pads are brutal on most steels and I stay well away from them (unless I wanty to repair/redo a brushed finish on something, girlfriends jewellry etc)
By the way, are those mosaic pins or torx bolts on the handle?
Cheers

risby

Forager
Jun 21, 2005
dorset, uk
soup_monger said:
Good stuff Risby, thanks. I suppose you will just have to go deeper into the woods next time you want to use your blade. :)
Those scouring pads are brutal on most steels and I stay well away from them (unless I wanty to repair/redo a brushed finish on something, girlfriends jewellry etc)
By the way, are those mosaic pins or torx bolts on the handle?
Cheers

Yeah, what do you reckon the Rockwell rating on scouring pads is?
strongspongebob.jpg

They are mosaic pins ...
mosaicpin.jpg

risby

Forager
Jun 21, 2005
dorset, uk
Wayne said:
Hi Risby.

Is that the knife we disscussed at my meet.

the blade looks like it sweeps quite steeply to the point. Does this cause the blade to accelerate when carving?

It's a good looking knife.

It is indeed the knife I was awaiting then. I haven't noticed any undue acceleration ability with this knife but it certainly goes fast enough.

This is the knife I'm working on at the moment. I think it's going to be a great little whittler. Cherry wood handle on Brusletto Kystkniven blade.

risby

Forager
Jun 21, 2005
dorset, uk
soup_monger said:
I like your fat handled thinking on your whittler Risby

It's not particularly fat handled, soup ... just the odd perspective I guess ... here it is from the top (the blade is not permanently attached yet) ...

What sort of wood did you use for your phat scales?

soup_monger

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 30, 2005
EDINBURGH AND PERTH
I see your handle has more depth than girth...sort of ergonomic.
I used stabilised buck-eye maple that I bought from a guy in the States.
It was hard to work with and I'm not sure it's very healthy to inhale the dust...cough!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE