Sewing a buttonhole?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I am about to start making my bush shirt from the plans Toddy sent out and was wondering if anyone could tell me how I can sew buttonholes with an old straight stitch machine or is there an attachment that would go on a Singer industrial machine from 1916?

Cheers

Chris

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
You can't do buttonholes on an old straight-stitch Singer, but you're right to assume there's an attatchment that'll do it. The only thing to look out for is that the buttonholer will work on your industrial machine before you buy one. You can get 'em for around £40 -60 quid on the interweb.

I'm afraid my knowledge of the industrial machines is zilch though, so I think Google is going to be your friend; sorry I can't be of more help :)

P.S. Buttonholes are reasonably easy to do by hand in woollen fabric and don't take much time or skill; again, Google is your friend.

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
I'd do it by hand, mate. They're pretty easy and it's a handy thing to know how to do so you can repair button holes and eyelets in the field if needed.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Many thanks. I will have to do it by hand this time but its good to know that there is a gadget out there.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
I am about to start making my bush shirt from the plans Toddy sent out and was wondering if anyone could tell me how I can sew buttonholes with an old straight stitch machine or is there an attachment that would go on a Singer industrial machine from 1916?

Cheers

Chris

There is an japanese made attachment from called ys-40 or something for industrial machines. I have one at home. It only makes straight shirt-type buttonholes and demands a certain fettling around. Usually available new on the auction site.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
There is an japanese made attachment from called ys-40 or something for industrial machines. I have one at home. It only makes straight shirt-type buttonholes and demands a certain fettling around. Usually available new on the auction site.

Got one on my Christmas list:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE