Sevylor Skeg - is it worth it?

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
I mainly use my Sevylor Fishhunter on the local canal and the lack of tracking is a bit of pain, especially when my little lad is having a go. Would a Skeg make much of a difference on long straight runs? I'm only a novice paddler and it says on their website its for experienced users only?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
They do make a difference but the inflatables I've used have never tracked very well.

For £10 it's probably worth a punt

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
I found using the skeg a great help with tracking both on the sea and the river. As others have pointed out, inlatables are not the best for keeping a straight line. Like anthing else an inflatable is a compromise and love being able to use mine whenever I park the van near suitable water.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Mines a a bit of a pain without a skeg, I missed it when I didn't put it on. It won't track well even with it, but makes life much easier.

One hard pull on the paddle without it has me 360'ing down the river.

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
Being able to park anywhere with the canoe on board is a definite bonus, the last time we were out in it we nipped into the local town afterwards and parked in a multistorey.

chris667

Jan 4, 2012
Derbyshire, UK
I love canoes, and although I'm the least snobby person in the world, this is something I feel quite strongly about. So here's my take on them.

Even counting the added convenience, inflatables are just not worth it. I know of quite a few narrowboats that contain deflated canoes of varying levels of mouldiness that were bought on a whim, then put away because they just aren't that nice to use. A skeg might help a bit, but it will still end up all over the place when it's windy. And you'll end up getting wet if you're sat there for more than ten minutes, which is OK in a lake but never nice in a dirty canal.

I'd buy an open canoe now when they're a bit cheaper, and sell the inflatable when the weather's nicer. It's better value in the long run, as you'll use it that much more, and if it doesn't work out you'll get your money back!

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
I'd love a rigid canoe, but my funds are limited and the amount of time I spend on the water doesn't justify the cost. If a cheap one comes up I'd buy it.

The Sevylor has done us well in the 8 years we've had it - trips on the Great Ouse, the Ure, Coquet, Lancaster Canal.

chris667

Jan 4, 2012
Derbyshire, UK
A rigid canoe is so much more rewarding, you would use it more so the money you would have spent doing other things would pay for it. Seriously.

Plus, once you buy it, that's all the expense done; keep it until your son doesn't want to spend weekends with you and sell it, you'll get your money back. But I bet you won't. :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE