Several photos of Algonquin Park in Ontario Canada

Captaincrash

Sep 26, 2010
Canada
Here are a few photos of our May Long Weekend 2009 paddle in Algonquin Parks Backcountry. A couple portages to get out away from modern life. We do it every year around the same time. Only 1 1/2 hour drive to the put in spot. We plan on doing it this year in our Canoes....we love our Kayaks for the speed but the portages are not fun at all. Much easier with Canoes! I guess the HBC Voyageurs were right!!

For those that are unaware of "Algonquin Park" here are some tidbits for you:

It is the oldest provincial park in Canada having been established in 1893
Its current size of about 7653 square kilometres
Over 2,400 lakes and 1,200 kilometres of streams and rivers are located within the park
Within the boundaries of the park, the following number of species are known to live: 53 species of mammals, 272 species of birds, 31 species of reptiles and amphibians, 54 species of fish, about 7000 species of insects, over 1000 species of plants, and over 1000 species of fungi.

And dont get me started on the Mosquito population!!!

V0010320.jpg

V0010341.jpg

V0010347.jpg

V0010351.jpg

V0010354.jpg

V0010360.jpg

V0010369.jpg

V0010372.jpg

V0010386.jpg

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Very nice Captaincrash

Hope to make it to the park for a paddle one year, probably on my own though as the wife won't stand the mossies :)

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
Great pictures. I see that your campsite has been well used in the past as evidenced by the large birch that has had a good sized bit of bark removed all around unfortunately.
Is it a very crowded park on the long weekends? I've watched tv programs about that park before and it is a really nice spot.

Captaincrash

Sep 26, 2010
Canada
Great pictures. I see that your campsite has been well used in the past as evidenced by the large birch that has had a good sized bit of bark removed all around unfortunately.
Is it a very crowded park on the long weekends? I've watched tv programs about that park before and it is a really nice spot.

It always ticks me off when we see the trees molested like that but I promise you this isn't too common in the back country sites. The back country sites are fairly well used but also very spread out (sometimes one or two on a lake) so the crowds aren't evident even if they are there.
There are a bunch of car friendly campgrounds along the highway #60 corridor through the park for all the city slickers that want to camp in a tent subdivision but, the hike or paddle in sites are free from those people. We use a remote access point outside the main gate of the park that is less used than the others so it gets you away from the idiots!!

Jan 28, 2010
ontario
Nice pics...can we play guess the location? I'm gonna say Grand Lake/Achray/Barron Canyon??? We're about an hour and a half south of the park also...
I was just looking at the park website etc last night; -34 degrees in the park , not a good camping night...

Captaincrash

Sep 26, 2010
Canada
Keep guessing.....where in ON are you from?

I will post up some pics from our 2010 trip soon.....we had a major accident on the lake involving one of our neighbors and a stove sized boulder.....eye opening story! I will post it up with some pics.

Jan 28, 2010
ontario
Those pics of the sandy shore made me think of Grand Lake...so if not that, must be somewhere off the hwy 60 corridor?
I trust the portages weren't too far in to the bush...kayaks are a real devil to carry any distance...
We are in Lanark County west of Ottawa.

Captaincrash

Sep 26, 2010
Canada
Those pics of the sandy shore made me think of Grand Lake...so if not that, must be somewhere off the hwy 60 corridor?
I trust the portages weren't too far in to the bush...kayaks are a real devil to carry any distance...
We are in Lanark County west of Ottawa.

The first 6 are Farm Lake (East side of Park) and last 3 are of Crotch Lake(Same spot). Our original plan was:
Put in at Farm Lake
Camp at far end of Farm L.
Portage to Bridle L.
Portage to Shirleys L.
Camp on Shirleys L
Portage to Crotch L.
Paddle through to Farm L. and head Home.

Here is what really happened:
Put in at Farm Lake
Camp at far end of Farm L.
Portage to Bridle L.
Portage Cart on my friends Kayak broke into several pieces
Portage Cart On my boat had severely bent axles
Three of us decide to abort and carry/drag everything back to Farm L.
Paddled back down Farm and into Crotch L.
Found the "Sandy Beach Campsite on Crotch L. and Relaxed.
Head out the next day!!!

We went a different route this past year that was a little more do-able
Put in at Farm L.
Paddled to Kitty Lake
Avoided first portage by walking up fast moving water pulling the boats with ropes
Paddled kitty lake to the portage into Booths Lake
Portaged 1/2 km to booths lake (miserable but worth it!)
Camped on Booths lake for 2 days
Back out the way we came in the next day.

This year we are leaving the Kayaks at home and taking Canoes!!

My best friend lives in Pakenham....that is Lanark County right?

Mike

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE