serving spoon from cherry

forginhill

Settler
Dec 3, 2006
The Desert
A couple years ago my wife visited her family and brought back a trimming from their cherry tree for me to work with. I finally got around to making a serving spoon with a section of it. Always enjoy working with cherry....

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Very nice spoon, a pleasure to see! I agree with you, Cherry is such a friendly wood in all respects......:)

Dean

Mod
Mod
Jan 24, 2004
South Wales
www.facebook.com
Beauty of a spoon, I love working the Cherry just don't get enough of it around here. I see you decided to carve from the inside out, this has given the bowl a different pattern but has not taken away from the beauty of the spoon itself.

forginhill

Settler
Dec 3, 2006
The Desert
Thanks for the comments! You all are generous. Dean, I use as much of the wood as I can. I'll split off a piece that I think will be ideal, then I'll use whatever is left to make another spoon or two if possible. Sometimes I get lucky with how the grain turns out. You all are fortunate having lots of wood around. I have scrubby little mesquite trees with terrible grain and that's it. Something like this cherry is precious...

Here's a soup spoon I made from a scrap of maple, just so it wouldn't go to waste. There's a tiny crack at the end of the handle, but it won't hurt the usefulness at all.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE