Serrated Sharpening?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Terry.m.

Forager
Dec 2, 2014
Kent
Wrong forum but is it possible to sharpen a serrated edge knife, please move to correct forum if known.!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
The real answer is "maybe".

Can a serrated knife be sharpened? Well, since they make serrated knives, and they need to make them sharp before selling, obviously yes.

Can serrated knives be sharpened by their owners? That will depend upon the knife, the serrations, and the equipment available to the owner.

Some serrations can be matched adequately well with readily available ceramic sharpening rods. Some are so narrow or deep that it is hard to impossible to find sharpeners to suite.

Chris

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
After being convinced of its merits by a fellow member on another channel, I bought a serrated Delica. Glad I did. Very able. Very efficient. Very. :) Though, in the end, I wasn't quite as convinced by the Dragonfly variation.

ONE

Nov 21, 2019
N. Ireland
I "do" the serrated blade on my Charge with a diamond rod from a cheapo Chinese pocket sharpener, does a grand job.

Murat_Cyp

Forager
Sep 16, 2020
Bristol
I have sharpened serrated knives (not only Spyderco Brand) using Spyderco Sharpmaker and it works extremely well. Often serrated edges came out sharper than plain ones after Spyderco Shar Maker. You might want to consider Sharpmaker lookalikes from other brands as I think SharpMaker is a bit overpriced when bought new ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE