Sending Seller Their Paypal Fees

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
Hi, a Paypal Queery. i have been looking at the classifieds/for sale items and have noticed a number of posts state ''buyer pays paypal fees'', how does this work please?, i do have a paypal account and as i understand it the receiver of money pays a fee but not the sender, so say if an item was offered at £10 and i bought it would i have to work out the fee the seller would have deducted from their sale for the paypal fee and add that to the £10 asked, if i am correct the paypal fee for receiving money is 3.4% + 20p therefore using the figure of £10 for an example i would have to send the seller £10 + 54p (54p is fee of 34p+20p =54p which is 3.4%+20p of £10) = send the seller a grand total of £10.54p to cover item and fee. Or am i incorrect and the seller forwards the total required themselves. I would be grateful if someone could clarify this please so i know what to expect should i decide to buy something. Thankyou.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Ah they shouldn't be doing that.

The fees are supposed to be added into the sales price so that the buyer is insured if sommat goes amiss.

The guidelines changed a while back, and the Mods would appreciate it if sellers would mind and simply add in the extra fee to their price.

cheers,
Toddy

markie*mark0

Settler
Sep 21, 2010
warrington
As far as I know you can either add the % fee onto the value (. I prefer doing this) you still have PayPal protection for goods. Or send it as gift

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!

The fees are supposed to be added into the sales price so that the buyer is insured if sommat goes amiss.
As far as I know you can either add the % fee onto the value (. I prefer doing this) you still have PayPal protection for goods. Or send it as gift
I'll have to check but as i understand it, it's asking for money to be sent as a gift / money owed that's the big no-no. It breaches Paypals terms of use and it also leaves the buyer with absolutely no protection at all..

AFAIK it's still OK for a seller to ask for the buyer to cover fees if they choose to use paypal... it's the avoidance of fees by using the gift/money owed option that's not...

Tony??

WULF

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 19, 2012
South Yorkshire
I think it would be easier all round if sellers included their Paypal fee & postage cost inthe price of the item .

my thoughts entirely although if a buyer sending money decides to send without fees then thats there choice.i sent without fees mainy times to members.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I think it would be easier all round if sellers included their Paypal fee & postage cost inthe price of the item in their posts. Joonsy your calculations are correct.

Yes, that's what we asked for.

To quote Tony in the stickie at the top of the Members Classified's forum,

"[h=2]
icon1.png
Selling with PAYPAL as a gift on BCUK, please read[/h]
This will go into the rules but I'm posting it here first so you guys are aware of it.

Payment by gift for paypal have gradually increased and they need to stop, it's a way of avoiding fees so that the seller can sell slightly cheaper and all's good, but as the transaction is happening via bcuk it's not good and so I'm asking everyone that does it to stop doing it and just add a little to their prices if need be.
Any classifieds that we see that are paypal as gift will be removed and we will not be PMing people to explain ourselves, we'll just bin the threads. "

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=81058

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK

The guidelines changed a while back, and the Mods would appreciate it if sellers would mind and simply add in the extra fee to their price.

cheers,
Toddy

Hi Toddy, i tried to find out in the guidelines but could'nt see any mention of using paypal in them, i expect i will just have to PM the particular seller for their individual payment method, thankyou for your reply.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
I think it would be easier all round if sellers included their Paypal fee & postage cost inthe price of the item in their posts. Joonsy your calculations are correct.

Hi Perrari, yes that way would be far simpler indeed, thankyou for your input.

my thoughts entirely although if a buyer sending money decides to send without fees then thats there choice.i sent without fees mainy times to members.

Hi Wulf, yes some sellers ask for paypal fees and others do not, that's why i was a bit confused, thankyou for your reply.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I think the Boss got sidetracked on this one. He posted the sticky in Classifieds though.

I'll flag it in the Mods and see about having it re-emphasised.

cheers,
Toddy

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!

"
icon1.png
Selling with PAYPAL as a gift on BCUK, please read

This will go into the rules but I'm posting it here first so you guys are aware of it.

Payment by gift for paypal have gradually increased and they need to stop, it's a way of avoiding fees so that the seller can sell slightly cheaper and all's good, but as the transaction is happening via bcuk it's not good and so I'm asking everyone that does it to stop doing it and just add a little to their prices if need be.
Any classifieds that we see that are paypal as gift will be removed and we will not be PMing people to explain ourselves, we'll just bin the threads. "

As I read it, that is referring to sellers requesting Paypal as a gift to avoid fees - nothing to do with asking for Paypal fees to be covered by the buyer

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
I think the Boss got sidetracked on this one. He posted the sticky in Classifieds though.

I'll flag it in the Mods and see about having it re-emphasised.

cheers,
Toddy

Hi Toddy, i looked at the sticky post in the members classifieds titled ''Please Read'' but didn't see any mention on using paypal and their fees. i seem to remember some while back a post requesting people to use a specific way when using paypal which is why i asked as i couldn't remember the details. Thankyou.

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
I thought the guidelines were buyers were to cover fees. I sometimes list as all in so the price you see is the price you pay. If its more than say 30 quid I tend to ask for fees to be paid/covered. It's to cover the fees you get charged for selling and withdrawing money. I see others are either selling with fees included or to be paid so I guess I've followed the flock :eek:

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK

"
icon1.png
Selling with PAYPAL as a gift on BCUK, please read

Hi Toddy, i have just noticed that sticky post titled ''selling with paypal as a gift'', i was incorrectly looking at the sticky post beneath it titled ''Please read'' (sorry), that post makes it clearer now, thankyou.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
As I read it, that is referring to sellers requesting Paypal as a gift to avoid fees - nothing to do with asking for Paypal fees to be covered by the buyer

The end result is that the sellers will have to pay fees, they are quite within their rights to add those fees onto the price they ask for an item, but the buyer should not be put in the position of being asked to pay seperately to cover those fees or to pay in such a way that the seller isn't charged because then the buyer has no cover from paypal if something goes wrong.
By wrong, I think we would all agree that it's usually postal and their insurance is a joke.

Clear now ?

cheers,
Toddy

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Ive never understood why people just dont include the fees in their sales listing, it's not brain surgery to work out, most if not all people who sell here will fall into the £0.00 - £1500.00 category, so the fees are 3.4% + 20p per transaction.

So if you want to get £10.00 for something you are selling and lets say P&P is £ 2.00

£ 10.00 + £ 2.00 = £ 12.00

£ 12.00 x 3.4% = £ 0.41 (Rounded up)

Transaction fee = £ 0.20

£ 12.00 (goods + postage) + £ 0.41 (Percentage) + £ 0.20 (Transaction Fee) = £ 12.61

So the selling price is = £ 12.61

Either round it up, leave as is or just take the hit for the sake of 61p

More info on Paypal Fee structure here https://www.paypal.com/uk/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_display-receiving-fees-outside&countries=

I know a few people on here who wont buy anything from people who list stuff as "Buyer pays the fees", cant say that i blame them either tbh.

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I admit I didn't know that rule until recently when someone pointed it out to me. I gave people the option of paying by bank transfer which is free. As far as I know, even sending PayPal as a gift isn't free unless the money is already in one's PayPal account

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Hi Toddy, i have just noticed that sticky post titled ''selling with paypal as a gift'', i was incorrectly looking at the sticky post beneath it titled ''Please read'' (sorry), that post makes it clearer now, thankyou.

It's now also in that thread as a second post. I might add a bright text with a reference to post 2, just in case people don't scroll down.

Thanks for the heads up.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE