Selling knife - how to ensure buyer is at least 18?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Aug 19, 2015
London
Hello,

I would like to sell a knife. What is the normal procedure of verifying the buyer's age when selling a knife on here? If payment is done via paypal, is that assurance enough the buyer is at least 18? Or is it my responsibility to ask for a copy of the driver's licence or ID corresponding to that paypal account?

Thank you for your help!

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Sent this.....

Hi Geronimo,
Welcome to BushcraftUK.

With reference to your knife sales thread;

I will not be "Approving" your first thread as some members might view it as "Advertising or offering a sale while not being a paid up member". Selling through the forum is a perk reserved for those who pay an annual membership, offering sales without membership goes against our forum guidelines.

As far as the topic of verifying if the buyer is over 18 - you have to do "Due diligence" that is, if you ask and they say yes, then you can accept that as the truth. However, if you are suspicious, you can go to whatever lengths you feel to be appropriate until you are satisfied or elect to halt the sale to that person.

If you would care to make another post without reference to any sales, that can be "Approved", we can process your membership as normal.

Your understanding is appreciated.

Pete "Ogri the trog" Williams
Forum Moderator

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE