Self heating food and drink

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Lot of folks do like those kinds of things, good idea for a thread :)

B&M had the Rocket Fuel self heating mug things in last time I visited.
I suppose for a bought cup of coffee it's maybe not expensive, but you get a lot of coffee for £1 if you brew your own.

M

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland
I spoke to an American tank commander who said he didn`t trust the chemical heaters in the issue MREs and refused to use them. Fortunately for him the M1 Abrams has an onboard water heater so he didn`t have to.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
B&M sell the self heating coffee for 99p, watch out Toddy its full of gurarna (spelling?) or some high energy plant extract.

The American ration heaters are OK but when the temp drops a lot of troops heat meals on engine etc.

That said, Hot Can meals are about £6 each so once you have the meal heater the heaters are about £1.30 each plus whatever food you heat up, can of Irish stew = 89p, can of Chicken curry = £1, can of All Day Breakfast = £1 so you can get a 'Hot Can' meal for less than half price.

If you are out in the sticks or travel a lot in winter I suppose these heaters and a few tins in the boot is not a bad idea, you at least get a warm (who knows, maybe a hot) meal in you without the worry of stove fumes in the car.

spoony

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 6, 2005
tyne and wear
www.bike2hike.co.uk
i wonder if you could make your own using a ally mess tin and a plastic dish washer safe loc top tub of a slightly smaller size. The dish washer safe ones can normally stand a bit heat. Then you only have to buy the heat packs.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
I had a turkey curry Hot Can whilst hove-to in a gale off Ushant in 1986.

It was a wonderful and welcome meal.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I keep a couple of the self heating cans in the boot of the car in the Winter. If I had a B&M close I'd probably add a couple of cans of coffee. Not my choice for everyday, but the self contained meals make sense if you are stuck in your car after a motorway shunt etc.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE