Seeking Type of headtorch?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

FlashPan

Forager
Sep 7, 2015
Norf London
Hey all,

I have a couple of very very basic head torches and I've decided to look for a better upgrade in the range of waterproof-ness (nothing to go diving/swimming with). I was then also thinking about the on/off switch.

All the torches I am seeing have a push button on/off switch, which to my mind is not great is they are accidently switched on whilst in your bag.

I know you could leave the batts out or inserted in the wrong order but when it is dark could be hard to get setup.

So.....

Anyone aware of a head torch that doesn't have an on/off push button...something like a twist cap type thing I guess?

Cheers

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
There are twist cap types avaliable, but there are newer ir sensor ones that sense how bright you need the light and due to this do not turn on if in close quarters.

Also the term "lock-out" is used on head torches (and anything else) with buttons, to lock them out.

Last edited:

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I rate the alpkit gamma. The switch is a push-membrane type and I've never had it switch on in a bag. Gets chucked in a bag full of tools and all sorts.

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
Check out the petzl e-light. The older version came in a small red plastic case which would prevent it ever turning on in a pack. The newer one doesn't come with a case but still has the rotating side switch, I've never had mine turn on by accident (Either version)

Tonyuk

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Check out the petzl e-light. The older version came in a small red plastic case which would prevent it ever turning on in a pack. The newer one doesn't come with a case but still has the rotating side switch, I've never had mine turn on by accident (Either version)

I have one of the older cased ones and have carried it daily for ten years or so, great wee torches, it is a shame they dispensed with the case, it made for a nice wee package.

BLAG

Tenderfoot
Jul 6, 2014
sherwood forest
I have far too many headtorches and can strongly recommend the petzl nao..reactive lighting makes for great battery life. Good enough to run through the woods at night, for sport or from squirrels

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE