Second bag finished

leaky5

Maker Plus
Jul 8, 2014
Basildon
So my second bag is nearly complete, this one is for me. Just needs one internal seam to be bound, tidy some loose threads and cut the straps to length once I am happy with them.

There are a couple of slightly wonky bits, but I am still learning with this type of construction.

I was going to do a full Coyote Tan bag, but managed to pick so black material up cheap ( I was quite impressed with it, so went back and bought the rest of the roll he had). Then just added some Coyote Tan webbing for a bit of contrast.

It’s a full clam shell and lined with 300d material. It has 1 external pocket, 2 internal zipped and one internal open pocket.

I did not want to much webbing & hardware, so tried to design it to be as versatile as possible. All webbing is only sewn at the edges, so other webbing, clips etc can still be attached if needed.

I will be making up a front pouch and water bottle pouch. Hopefully these will use the existing webbing to connect.

Most of the important hardware is ITW, apart from the side buckles which I wanted to be a bit shorter.

It is approx 45x25x12cm, so roughly 13 litres.

Last edited:

leaky5

Maker Plus
Jul 8, 2014
Basildon
My goodness that's rather good! I can see custom bags becoming a nice little earner for you.

Andy

Thanks Andy and all the others for the comments.

Two problems with selling them. 1/ They are not of a salable quality (just for me and the family for now). 2/ Cost. There is up to £40 of materials in each bag + the time to make them, from experience people don't want to pay the price this sort of thing would have to cost.

leaky5

Maker Plus
Jul 8, 2014
Basildon
Outer case of pocket finished, it is currently blank inside apart from 2 large strips of loop tape on the back and front panels. The next idea is to make some hook backed panels for it.
Not to pleased with the way the opening sits, I am hoping once it has some use it will flatten down a bit.
The front panel on the main bag was mainly there as a feature to break up the shape a bit. On the pocket it is an extra pocket with hook and loop for about the top 1/3.
It is held on with 2 hook and loop tabs which fitted through the rectangular rings on the bottom edge of the bag and then they have 2 thin pieces of webbing on the top rear, through these the existing female part of the top strap goes through and finally the elastic cord also helps to keep it in place.
What have I learnt from all this.
1/ The bag is probably too small to be a full clam shell, once fully opened it has very little depth to it.
2/ I get through an awful lot of thread and a couple of needles per bag. But I do now have quite a good combination of the 2.
3/ For me, binding is a nightmare, still need to work on that a lot.

leaky5

Maker Plus
Jul 8, 2014
Basildon
Aye.. the more you tinker with them.. the better you'll get at making changes to them.

Yeah, I need to modify the first one I did a bit. It had a fixed front pocket for my sons school lunch, but it is just a bit to akward to use. I think I can just undo the lower front half seem and set a larger pocket in.

leaky5

Maker Plus
Jul 8, 2014
Basildon
Made an admin pouch for it. Holds 2 pens, an open pocket , a Velcro pocket and Velcro patch (which doubles as the lid closure).

The white lines in the 3rd picture are just chalk lines I have not washed off yet.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE