Seam sealing a tarp

tartanferret

Aug 25, 2011
barnsley
I slept under my tarp a few weeks ago and noticed a few drops of water that appeared to be coming from the central seam.

Upon closer inspection the sealing tape appears to be coming away in places.
1tarp.jpg1b tarp.jpg

Is thinned down silicone sealant OK for this ?
1c tarp.jpg

I have some NIKWAX tent and gear solarproof from a recent promotional give-away for the outer surface.
nikwaxconcentrate.jpg

Is it worth bothering with the inner seal? if so, what ratio would you recommend to stick the sealing tape back in place? I've never tried thinning sealant before, bear in mind I don't want to re-proof the whole tarp with the solution.

Any ideas? or should I just buy some seam sealant?

Cheers ! :)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
If it was me I'd pull off the tape and use the thinners and silicone method on the inside, use masking tape for a straight edge if needed.

I can't remember the ratio I used but I think it was 2 parts thinner to 1 part silicone, mixed in an aerosol lid until runny. Mix small amounts at a time as it goes off quickly.

tartanferret

Aug 25, 2011
barnsley
If it was me I'd pull off the tape and use the thinners and silicone method on the inside, use masking tape for a straight edge if needed.

I can't remember the ratio I used but I think it was 2 parts thinner to 1 part silicone, mixed in an aerosol lid until runny. Mix small amounts at a time as it goes off quickly.

Aerosol lid ? that short a time span? I was going to make a small jar up !

I reckon I'l bite the bullet and peel the tape off

cheers for the tips !:)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
It depends on how fast you can brush it on, you'll notice it going off after a couple of minutes though

It might delay it in a jar with a lid on but I've not tried it myself

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I'd add, its better to go thinner then re-apply more coats, if needed, rather than go thicker.........[Its not pretty :yuck:]

Seoras

Mod
Mod
Oct 7, 2004
Northwich, Cheshire
www.bushcraftdays.com
Such a handy thread this.

I have (well my wife Alison really) been cutting some Desert tarps in half and sewing them onto a whole tarp. Makes the new tarp just over 4 metres. I should get 6 four metre tarps in the end for my cadets.

I used the silicon and white spirits method and it seemed to pass the test last weekend with the rain we had.

IMAG1595.jpg

Cheers

George

bigroomboy

Nomad
Jan 24, 2010
West Midlands
There is an extensive post on hammockforums.net DIY section on this but I think Shewie is correct 2:1 for seam sealing 3:1 for waterproofing material. you need to mix well though which can be hard on a large scale.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE