Screw on axe head

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I was reminded the other day about a gadget I saw some years ago.

It was an axe head with a rough screw thread in the eye.

The idea was that you carried it without a shaft and twisted it onto a fresh cut stick when you needed it. :togo:

I remember at the time thinking it was a lame idea but I wondered if anyone else remembered them or even owned one?

Carcajou Garou

On a new journey
Jun 7, 2004
Canada
I own one possibly? I have a tool that is ax shape with an extended body that allows hand gripping to use it by hand if need be. It also has a hammer on the poll and a gut hook on the back edge of the blade. Mine is called a "Skatchet" used to carry it in my survival pack used it a few time to get the feel not a GB hunter but in a pinch who complains ;) CG :yo:

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Yep that's the one, I tried googling for a "scatchet" and came up with nothing. Spelt it wrong...... :lmao:

It sounded like a great idea at first but the link says it all really. I hadn't even thought of what happens when the handle (not very strong) breaks and you can't get it out. :cussing:

Does this remind anyone of other "great ideas" that turned out to be not so good in practice.

One that I have certainly bought in the past is a super neat set of 4 small nesting stainless steel pans by coleman for back packing. Nice quality product, looks great, does exactly what it says on the box.

The problem is the smallest pans are too small, never used them. Also how often do you need more than two pans when outdoors? Carried them miles and miles before I had the sense to admit that this neat package was just extra weight for no good reason. :eek:

The good side, finally, is that having just bought a 12cm Zebra billy, the second biggest pan fits neatly on the top with a trangia under it. (Here we go again......)

Go on, time to admit all those gadgets you bought and never use...... ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE