Scouting.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
you need to approach the district to find out what happened to the rest of the resources, the accounts will have gone to district along with the closing balance and you can get it back. the equipment should have been audited and taken into district storage but that rarely happens.

canoes are a throwback its better to sell them on if they are worth anything than have to get them tested and registered.

I've known folks who setup new as well as restarts and its not easy. I was offered a troop which folded after the leader booked a camp and the kids were sat outside the post office while he slept the beer off from the night before. turn out he pocketed the subs as well. I knew the village and the support had gone. One guy I used to know from jamborettes was kicked out of his troop for being too modern so he went off on his own taking all the kids and half the leaders with him, first time I've seen a troop with 70 kids and 20 helpers on camp so it can work.

I did have a shadow for a while where he came along to my tuesdays and I went to his thursdays till he got sorted out. it saved time as he could just copy what I did and I gave him a load of activity sheets I'd made up.

I agree with the two hours a night issue, my missus would spend hours every night sorting stuff out, doing records etc.. and that was before she discovered facebook and they put up a group forum. I would spend a few evenings a month at it, more if I was running camps that month and I'm not counting time at work diverted from what I should be doing :)

I have read a lot of bunkum in this tread. The biggest being the perpetual joke of " only 2 hours a week" that one had me unawares.
I have a leader who only does 2 hours a week as that is all he can spare, I now do 2 evenings a week as I work with 2 groups. You put in the time you can afford to put in, its a simple as that.

Go for it, its great being a leader. Yes you have to do some training, it isnt that you don't know what you are doing, its just a case of showing people that you do, after all they are someone elses kids! Look at training as a way to meet other leaders in the same boat, have joint meeting and camps, that what we do. It reduces the kit you have to take and what can seem like the burden of organising a camp.

If you approach people in the right way, and everyone is different, you will find other leaders/adults to help out.

I say go for it, I did and I have not looked back at all.

Your leader only does his 2 hours in an established group, hog is being asked to help setup a new group.... there is alot to be done, and alot to organise...

If Hog ends up going ahead and helping, and other people pull out then he’s left with the choice between close a newly established group, or putting in alot of hours...

To be honest i would be surprised if district give it the go ahead with brand new leaders, certainly in my part of the world they like already established assistant leaders to step across and become the leader whilst pulling in new assistants..

Go along to the existing group, and see what its all about and then make an informed choice.... maybe even sign up there for a couple of months to increase their capacity....

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Thanks for all the info. Have provisionally said that I will consider helping to get another troop going, but have said I need two others to help. All equipment - kayaks, tents, etc - is already there from the previous (now closed) scout troop. Will now wait for feedback from them.

Remember a Scout Troop is part of a Scout Group. Does teh group have a GSL and working committee if so go for it but even still none of it is that hard if you have support from the district and other local Troops. Remember you are not working against other Troops you should be working with them as they will be able to help you get camping sooner hopefully.

I say go for it its great fun:D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE