Scout woggle and firesteel project

awarner

Nomad
Apr 14, 2012
Southampton, Hampshire
Here is an idea for scouters and woggle wearers.
Below is a prototype of a craft evening I will be setting my scouts this week, a woggle with a firesteel included. the idea is when firelighting they have an ignition source at the ready and just need to worry about finding their tinder.

Made out of a piece of birch with the firesteel handle made from ash.
This is only an idea to see how it works but will give the scouts something different from the customary spoon.
The necker goes through the loop of cord to keep it secure so it does not fall out and get lost.

WP_000597 (1).jpgWP_000598 (1).jpgWP_000599 (1).jpg

Photos not the best but taken quickly on my phone so apologies for the quality.

awarner

Nomad
Apr 14, 2012
Southampton, Hampshire
Good idea, the steel was cheap at £1.25 and is small but works fairly well, its sold as a type for compact survival kits.
Would love to have used a larger type but budget is important.

Lister

Settler
Apr 3, 2012
Runcorn, Cheshire
I would possibly look at embedding a piece of hacksaw blade or similar into the edge of the woggle, then you have something to strike the firesteel against if you don't have a knife, if you could make them from silver birch i'd look at keeping some ark in it so you have an ignition source and a scrap of tinder

funky_rick

Tenderfoot
Jul 1, 2009
monmouth
amazin idea, where did you get the flint?? i may have a go at similar, I have tried whistles, and whistle woggles this looks great for my scouts if u have any additions that would be great. as you know as leaders everyone is looking for ideas. p.s the whistle woggles were a disaster as we could not get them to work

Last edited:

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Nice work I have not thought of doing that with my woggle but I like that.

I presume the idea is an emergency firelighter to carried with the woggle

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
amazin idea, where did you get the flint?? i may have a go at similar, I have tried whistles, and whistle woggles this looks great for my scouts if u have any additions that would be great. as you know as leaders everyone is looking for ideas. p.s the whistle woggles were a disaster as we could not get them to work

Have a look on HERE for ideas

awarner

Nomad
Apr 14, 2012
Southampton, Hampshire
This is where I picked up the steels from
http://www.greenmanbushcraft.co.uk/fire-lighting/flint-steels/mini-firesteel-blank-2-38-x-50-8mm.htm
I will probably modify my own over time but this is more of an introduction to knife craft. I can then give them a project to come up with other ideas on how to improve what they have made.

Yep for emergency firelighting but I'm sure they will have plenty of use.
I have also bought five safety knives (without points) as thye had them for a good price at £4.95 nothing special but they work well and seem to keep their edge.
http://www.greenmanbushcraft.co.uk/cutting-tools/knives/hultafors-safety-bushcraft-knife.htm

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE