Scout Hat

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Steve27752

Settler
May 7, 2007
Berkshire, U.K.
I had a 'Scout' hat that needed a leather hatband. So I looked no further than John Fenna.
Made for me and delivered within a week. Perfect;-)
The photo's are further down!
If you have a Scout hat post pics here.

Last edited:

ol smokey

Oct 16, 2006
Scotland
I was sorry to see the original Scout hats like that swapped for the Berret, but I suppose things change. I also cannot see
how the movement ever got round to picking someone like Bear Grills for their Chief, he does not even live up to the
Scout law of taking care of possessions and property. Are you lucky enough to have one of the hats like the Mounties
in Canada, which has a brim as firm as Formica. When I was a lad at the end of W W 11 as a Boy Scout, our hats had very soft brims, and even when steamed and ironed were like a Scenic railway, but our District Commissioner's was as rigid as
a board and about 4 mls thick. That is a real Beauty now especially, with it's new hatband. Something to be proud of.

Blaidd

Nomad
Jun 23, 2013
UK
Hey, thats beautiful work, my Dad had one, he was an assistant commissioner, I don't have the hat but I do have his shirt, sock ribbons and his woggle. (I know that word always makes me smile)

Steve27752

Settler
May 7, 2007
Berkshire, U.K.
I was sorry to see the original Scout hats like that swapped for the Berret, but I suppose things change. I also cannot see
how the movement ever got round to picking someone like Bear Grills for their Chief, he does not even live up to the
Scout law of taking care of possessions and property. Are you lucky enough to have one of the hats like the Mounties
in Canada, which has a brim as firm as Formica. When I was a lad at the end of W W 11 as a Boy Scout, our hats had very soft brims, and even when steamed and ironed were like a Scenic railway, but our District Commissioner's was as rigid as
a board and about 4 mls thick. That is a real Beauty now especially, with it's new hatband. Something to be proud of.

The hat is quite thick and is usually kept on a flat surface when not being worn. I converted it from an American style 'Campaign' hat which has the ridges at the front, rear and sides. To a British Baden Powell Style which has the ridges at the front and rear corners.
The lace is brown paracord.
The hat is quite thick and is usually kept on a flat surface when not being worn. I converted this one from an American style 'Campaign' hat which has the ridges at the front, rear and sides. To a British Baden Powell Style which has the ridges at the front and rear corners.
The lace is brown paracord.
This style of hat is still worn by The Baden Powell Scout Assn. which is a breakaway group, which is are more tradditional in there scouting ideals.
You can also buy Lemon Sqeezer hats from them (no I am not connected with them).
With the trend for hot sunny days, I think the the Scout Assn should re enstate them as being a part of the uniform for all in Beavers, Cubs, Scouts, Explorer Scouts and Leaders.

Last edited:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
001.jpgMy own version :)

The hat was acquired when 3rd Cardigan took a road trip to Hungary and back through France, Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany, Czech Republic, Slovakia etc. I am not sure if it is Czech, Slovak, or Hungarian...lots of Swaps went on!.
I also have an Italian Grey felt lemon squeezer somewhere in the loft ....

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida

The military training NCOs (DIs in the Army and Marines, MTIs in the Air Force) all still wear them. They have them professionally cleaned at the laundry and the brims are starched and pressed.

But for the police units that wear them, the more common method is this www.leonuniform.com/Alboum-BrimPress.htm

Unfortunately, if a felt hat is naturally stiff, it's because cheaper material is mixed into the felt. Pure wool or fur felts are naturally soft.

Last edited:

Steve27752

Settler
May 7, 2007
Berkshire, U.K.
This is my other lemon Sqeezer. It is made by 'Olney' for the Baden Powell Scout Assn. I have switched Johns hatband onto this one. The 'Olney' hatband is now on my other hat.
The Scout Assn also sell a 'Baden-Powell' lemon Sqeezer. Unfortunatley it has no vent holes and a cheap Pvc hatband.
'Olney' BPSA lemon Squeezer.

U.S. modified Campaign hat.

Scout Assn hat.

Last edited:

Steve27752

Settler
May 7, 2007
Berkshire, U.K.
The military training NCOs (DIs in the Army and Marines, MTIs in the Air Force) all still wear them. They have them professionally cleaned at the laundry and the brims are starched and pressed.

But for the police units that wear them, the more common method is this www.leonuniform.com/Alboum-BrimPress.htm

Unfortunately, if a felt hat is naturally stiff, it's because cheaper material is mixed into the felt. Pure wool or fur felts are naturally soft.

I will try and find a press here in the U.K. Postage from the U.S. is now VERY expensive!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I just use a hot iron with the hat damp then spray it with Aldi waterproofing spray - it then stays stiff for a good long time :)

greensurfingbear

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Here it is.....little dusty.....
mumahega.jpg

Orric

Duggie Bravo

Settler
Jul 27, 2013
Dewsbury
I have the SA version and I just put it on the ironing board and iron it.
I know what you mean about the PVC hatband and Steve messages me over oneScouts about his.

My hat gets battered, as does my Akubra, and the I probably need to reshape the crown.
Also looking for a Scout Leader plume if anyone knows where you can get them???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

N

Nomad

This is my other lemon Sqeezer. It is made by 'Olney' for the Baden Powell Scout Assn. I have switched Johns hatband onto this one. The 'Olney' hatband is now on my other hat.

The BPSA one looks the business. Can't find anything on their web site about buying one. Do you have to be a member of the association? (And how much are they?)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE