Scout handbook - blacklist?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
have you ever read the book?

it's pretty damn close to bushcraft!

well the more P.C. stuff anyway!

the personal reforming of wayward boys is a bit of a stcky subject but otherwise an interesting and very archeic read! :roll:

all about the days when blankets were top camping gear and canvas was your friend :pack: :wink:

Womble

Native
Sep 22, 2003
Aldershot, Hampshire, UK
There's a lot of good stuff in the book, I have an edition from about 1960 that has the majority of the original text.

I occasionally go back to it for ideas and a bit of inspiration.

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
It's a great book and I carried my original one with me every where as youngin. Called the Scouting Trail in Southern Ireland.

Here we have a new reprint (with are new association) and it has been updated with a small section on carving and wittling and two homemade alcohal burners discribed as well as updates on kit etc and much more. Add to that all the pics are now in colour as well as having quite a few photos.

It has again become a firm favourite and would be in my bag here today expect Adamscotts got it.

Hope the studies are goin well Adam.

James

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
:roll:

What next???? :?:
chris said:
Did anybody see an article in a newspaper today saying that the scout handbook is blacklisted by security services due to the potential of teaching survival skills to terrorists :shock:.....I thought scouts were terrorists :lol:

Chris

Communities are fine, but no man is an island

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
I,m not familiar with this book, but feel i must comment about it being blacklisted. Whats going to happen next, are they going to blacklist Ray Mears,Lofty wiseman,Chris Ryan etc on the flimsy excuse that it could lead to terrorist,s being taught survival skills.What happens then? Do they ban survival schools on the same pretence. I,m sorry but i think that taking such measures on the excuse that it might! help protect us from terrorism would be pretty lame.

Now i know some may say that i,m over reacting but it,s a slippery slope that always goes down,especially when the trend nowadays is to not let common sense prevail.

sorry i,ll get of my :soapbox: now. CHEERS
STUART F.

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
I'm not sure how a book can be "blacklisted", it's a long time since there's been a prosecution about the content of a book, and there's no such role as official censor. What paper was this in? any more info?

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
Holy **** :yikes:

If this is correct, they will reopen the Tower of London for us lot!!!!!

images.php

Oh hell, I am sitting here looking at a copy of the Scout hand book, I have a beard and a collecton of woggles, Im off, see ya, someones knocking at the door, its four men with dark glasses.................:cry:

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
Bad journalism from the NOTW I think.

A quick google about the Terrorism Act shows that "collecting information and the possession of any article which might be of use to terrorism" is covered by the act. So if they think you're a terrorist, or belong to a terrorist organisation, the Special Branch etc could conceivably make a case that your BCUK membership, copy of Bushcraft and collection of otherwise legal knives, GBs, millbank bags etc fits the above categories

So no blacklist of the handbook, owning the handbook is not illegal, but if the government wants to convict you of being a terrorist then almost anything you do or own might be used against you.

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
I still think that the goverment is overreacting.We did,nt have this sort of knee jerk reaction when we had the threat of bombing during the Nothern Ireland situation. I for one never heard the goverment of that time saying that if you owned a copy of Lofty Wiseman,s SAS SURVIVAL GUIDE, and if they thought you were a terrorist suspect by owning said book ,it could be used against you in a court of law.

I still think that the ACT it,s self is to broad and sweeping, i mean if the authorites came to my house or probably anyone,s on BCUK and saw half of the kit we use ,we,d be banged up for life,as owning equipment that, could be misconstrued as what terrorists may use for malicious purposes.

There is a whooping great divide between being a scout and being a terrorist, and by blacklisting a scout book in my opinion is too much of an overreaction.

Sorry got back on that :soapbox: again CHEERS STUART F.

stevec

Oct 30, 2003
Sheffield
pitiful, a bit like my spelling! what would happen if the cops came round my place? well i've got lofty's book and two of ray's, books on plants, edible plants and fungi etc etc, not to mention some knives :eek:\: . got to be a terrorist! :AR15firin
don't forget to post here when you've been nicked for beeing a terrorist!

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
:soapbox: when i was in scouts you'd be very hard pushed to do anything as exciting as terrorism!

there have been millions of people all over the world all scouts and ex scouts that have used a read the book!

so does it mean that scouts are potential terrorists? because they read a potential terrorist book? or at least are potentially dangerous? :-?

how about, cubs, beavers, girl guides and brownies? they all sing from the same hynm sheet!

the thing that baffles me is...

what do they think is the potential terrorist information?

hunting/fishing? millions of people do that.

camp skills? again millions do it!

the reformation of boys to scouting(armed force) but most armies do a better job!

i have notice on some american sites there is information freely available. such as US army manuals on bombs, making your own, sabotage etc, etc,

if potentially dangerous or offencive material is available, why pick on a book that has nothing in particular anyone can think of as a risk subject?

why not ban usefull things like blank firing guns, or replica guns. that would certainly stop a few bank raids! :AR15firin

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
:shock:
hey i just realised... :-o

if big brother just looked on my last entry at all those mentions of the word "terrorist" i've probbably be blacklisted myself! :roll:

stupid world we live in, eh.

hey MI5 don't bother! :wink:

M

mbrodw

I ordered my copy last night-5-7 working days until it arrives! Shock Horror does veryone think i am a terrorist! If you want a copy for a bargain price of £9.99 and free p&p PM and i'll send you the money off code!

BTW i aint affiliated although i am a scout-is that an oxymoron?

Mark

Mar 2, 2004
i was a scout,and it was great.the paper was taking the mick i hope but someone needs a slap for putting bin laden in a scout uniform.by the way do you think any of those reporters have ever been camping or gotten blisters from lashing timber together?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE