Scottish Travellers

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Just turned over and saw a prog on BBC2 Scotland about the above.

I've missed half but there's a second prog next week I presume.

filcon

"Neo-eisimeileachd ALBA"
Dec 1, 2005
Strathclyde
Thought it was brilliant, people have their opinions about them but I have always thought they are one of the few true communities left. I,ve dealt with them a few times and if your straight them they,ll be straight with you. Some of them leave a mess around their camps which I don,t like, but look at the litter lying about in any housing scheme that has got proper cleansing facilities.
Didn,t see any fat computer cotton wool kids,no spoilt brats, didn,t see any apathetic parents thinking the world owes them. No drink or drug problems, big 2-3 generation families living together, children being children and not mini me,s.
I did see however a welcome similarity to family life and values that we used to have and as for the hare coursing whats wrong with it, good on them. Looking forward to the rest of the series.
Who would you rather see move next door when you see the anti social problems that plague our towns now.

phil

Last edited:

Ronnie

Settler
Oct 7, 2010
Highland
Excellent film. Proper Scots living the life against all the odds. The narration wasn't so good: WILKS, not whelks!!!!

Settler
Aug 8, 2010
here
did you see a substandard tarmac job and a burn full of garden refuse?

travellers seem to be the flavour of the moment. they occupy land near my work during the summer months and i see nothing romantic or admirable about the c**p they live amongst or the state they leave the place in.

why i cant deny if society went pear shaped they would be best suited to survive - what with the aversion to banks - i still think they take liberties.

Settler
Aug 8, 2010
here
just what ive seen. repeatedly. then they eventually get moved on and the taxpayer has to cover the clean up.

its a fact

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Listened to a great prog' on Radio Scotland a few years ago about an old traveller who recounted his life.

Think he'd done a book but I never noted it unfortunately.

No-one is perfect and I know there are some who can cause trouble but there are a majority of great folk, just like in 'normal' society.

Settler
Aug 8, 2010
here
Listened to a great prog' on Radio Scotland a few years ago about an old traveller who recounted his life.

No-one is perfect and I know there are some who can cause trouble but there are a majority of great folk, just like in 'normal' society

probably about the size of it - but doesnt make for intense debate!

filcon

"Neo-eisimeileachd ALBA"
Dec 1, 2005
Strathclyde
I enjoyed this evenings Travellers programme, I watched it and appreciated it.

phil

Last edited:

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
i actually lived with a traveller woman for 5 years...strange mind set and morals.......interesting.

she ended up going back to the "old way".....could'nt live in a house, in one location.

a wild, scary, beautiful hellcat who would fight anyone to the death, steal from anyone, and protect you with her life....as i say,....interesting.

Settler
Aug 8, 2010
here
Well 789987 your entitled to your opinion, why don,t you go and tell them it. Infact theres a nice wee travellers settlement across from Greggs at the Govan cross, why don,t you buy a wee cake and go for a wee coffee.

phil

just saying what ive seen. in real life. instead of on the tv.

and i would have difficulty telling the difference between the tinks and your average weegie!

OH YEAH! I WENT THERE!!!

bwahahaha

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
just what ive seen. repeatedly. then they eventually get moved on and the taxpayer has to cover the clean up.

its a fact

I pay tax for a lot of things I don't agree with and cleaning up after any traveller is far down the list.

Not looking for intense debate either.

Just thought it was a good documentary to watch.

Last edited:

mrmike

Sep 22, 2010
Hexham, Northumberland
I can't comment specifically about the Scottish travellers, but having experienced travellers every year for the past 10 years (Appleby horse fair) I will share my observations if I may.
By and large the travelling community (gypsies, travellers, call them what you will) are a bunch of good, nice folk, if a little rough around the edges. They are however let down by a minority. I must stress that it is a minority. Probably the same percentage as would be found in any other community.
And yes, when they leave there is always a mess left behind. Then again look at any festival etc, large numbers of 'normal' folks also leave a right mess.
As has already been said, talk to them straight, they will do the same to you. Treat them right, they will do the same to you.
Leave them be I say.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
I worked with some for a few days when a youngster too.

Let's say if you want a cheap tarmac job, then that's what you'll receive.

Fair do's and nothing other than that was promised.

filcon

"Neo-eisimeileachd ALBA"
Dec 1, 2005
Strathclyde
The majority of true Travellers camp on common ground, areas that were designated hundreds of years ago for common grazing, trading, markets and festivals that were sanctioned by the crown. The maximum time they can stay is six weeks.

phil

Last edited:

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Travellers, Rom, gypsies, and tinkers, are not all the same. They each have their own culture, and their own ways. And like all Gorjer (anyone not of ‘the people’) there are more good than bad in every race. Every posh road as someone whose garden looks like a breakers yard. Every award winning ‘village’ as a house that the ‘Pride of Britain judges’ never get to see. Every decent housing estate has the HASBO Heroes, people who give you and yours a bad name.
95% of the human race is ok, but we only ever seem to see, or talk about th 5% that are scum, [people who’d be scum, no matter what race they belong to.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh

No-one is perfect and I know there are some who can cause trouble but there are a majority of great folk, just like in 'normal' society.

I'm guessing that would be Duncan Williamson - the book is The Horsieman. Very well reviewed, been sitting in my "in" pile for ages...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE