Scottish fishing advice.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Aug 4, 2013
Berkshire
Hi

In June I am going on a canoe trip through the Highland Great Glen and the entire length of Loch Ness.

What are the rules about fishing from the canoe and fishing from the shore?

Thanks

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
No problem mate, just one of those times when you know where the info is. Hope you have a good time.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Don't believe a word of it...its just a cruel myth that there are fish in Scotland, a way of extracting some small fees from visitors, or providing entertainment for locals watching poor misguided visitors thrash the water in futility ;)In fairness, I did see one salmon on the Spey, but it was clearly lost!

Polecatsteve

Nomad
Aug 20, 2014
Scotland
Don't believe a word of it...its just a cruel myth that there are fish in Scotland, a way of extracting some small fees from visitors, or providing entertainment for locals watching poor misguided visitors thrash the water in futility ;)In fairness, I did see one salmon on the Spey, but it was clearly lost!

Hahah 😄 aye your not wrong there mate. Just picked up this seasons permit and the closest it'll come to a fish is the picture on the front!

Roll on another year if swearing at overhanging branches, tangled lines, lost lures and seeing "that guy" up the river catching one after his first cast when you have been there all day.......magical past time is fishing.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Joking (somewhat) aside, I have attempted fishing while on canoe trips once in Scotland (not the Spey), once in Norway and three times in Sweden on Stora Le, and it has never been a particularly satisfactory experience. I would go so far as to suggest that fishing and expedition canoeing are largely incompatible activities. The only time I can imagine it working is when there are no more than four of you and you are all skilled and equally keen fishermen. It may be different in North America, with their higher proportion of predatory fish and generally higher fish stocks in places that people might canoe.

The problems encountered on my trips:

• Trolling from the canoe, a well described method which creates problems if the fisherman isn't also the stern paddler, and if in a group where the action of fishing either leaves you far behind, or the leaders take you on such a route that you are continually snagging your lure on the bottom.
  • Casting around the shore. Usually only available at scheduled stops and around camp in morning and evening. In the morning and at lunch there will be significant time pressures and it is hard to enjoy fishing while looking at a watch. Generally the places that are good for camping are indifferent for fishing.
  • Paddling off specifically for fishing, maybe in the evening, or maybe on a rest day. If in a group with non-fishers, its usually not possible to get more than a couple of hours total, including travel time. Best chance to catch something, but unless you are on your own and the water is still, or you are sharing with another skilled fisherman, much time can be wasted in boat manoeuvring, answering basic questions and untangling lines. The inability to anchor most canoes is a right royal pain.

Overall, even if you are taking the trip gently, expedition canoeing runs to a pace and schedule which sees one pass by the best looking fishing spots because at that moment you need to reach the next camp.

ol smokey

Oct 16, 2006
Scotland
One thing to be aware of is that if fishing for trout or salmon, you must use a rod and reel, not a survival type reel
on it's own. That is classed as poaching, and if caught poaching your can have all your gear confiscated that is connecte to your fishing trip your boat, your car (because it got you there) and anything
else connected to your fishing. I see all those references on here from time to time about survival
fishing gear. These are O.K. in a genuine survival situation, at least in Britain. I can't speak for the
wilds of Canada or America etc., I am fairly sure that if caught by a gamekeeper with a beer can
with fishing line wound round it and appropriate hooks and bait attached ( In use ). With no
fishing rod Then the user would be in trouble. If in doubt, check this out.. Cheers ...Stuart.

Aug 4, 2013
Berkshire
you must use a rod and reel, not a survival type reel
on it's own.

Always a rod and reel for me. Not convinced by survival/hobo reels, even if they weren't illegal - for reasons of casting distance and accuracy and because it puts all the pressure on the line, you don't have a rod and/or reel to vary anything.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE