Scott Polar Institute - Cambridge.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
A quick heads up following my visit at the weekend...

The Scott Polar Research Institute in Cambridge has currently got an exhibition about Roald Amundsen, detailing his life and expeditions, with exhibits including his clothing, personal knife, snow shoes etc etc.

This is on alongside the regular exhibits of arctic & antarctic exploration. I found it very interesting to compare Amundsens equipment to the type used by Scott's expedition.

Free to get in, took me a couple of hours to have a decent look around.

On until November 19th

http://www.spri.cam.ac.uk/museum/exhibitions/

Dave

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I'd love to see this, Cambs is a bit too far away unfortunately

I'll see if I can wangle a day out somehow

torc

Settler
Nov 23, 2005
left coast, ireland
Good heads up, I've it already penned in for next month.
The SPRI has a cracking little museum that was short listed this this year for the Museum of The Year prize.
Happy trails...torc.

TomBartlett

Spoon worrier
Jun 13, 2009
Madison, WI
www.sylvaspoon.com
Went in there for the first time a couple of weeks ago. All very inspirational stuff. A couple of favourites of mine was the skin canoe, the full Sami reindeer fur outfit and the scrimshaw work on sperm whale teeth. Well worth a visit if you're in the area.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Went in there for the first time a couple of weeks ago. All very inspirational stuff. A couple of favourites of mine was the skin canoe, the full Sami reindeer fur outfit and the scrimshaw work on sperm whale teeth. Well worth a visit if you're in the area.

He says from Iraq :) Making me feel guilty for not driving down there for a couple of hours :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE