Scots translations please for an American author friend

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Totally off the wall this one :)

One of my friends is an author and she's writing a modern tale but with some Scottish characters.

Imagine LordX is the off world guest of a race who are the epitome of young fit and eager students come marines....she wants the dialogue that LordX would use when as a guest in their home estates :rolleyes:
I've already pointed out the received pronunciation bit of the 'upper class' education, but she wants it, "Scottish'd".

1. I am really tired ( conduct a "tour" of the hunting grounds, leaving the man feeling every year)

2. Couldn't eat another thing.

3. Of course I can hit it from here (lifting weapon)

4. This spot is beautiful.

5. She is such a gorgeous woman (he is single, currently married to the job)

6. No, it wasn't a "lucky" shot

7. Okay, this IS the most beautiful location I have ever seen (pays bet to D F, youngish leader, ggdaughter of matriarch)

8. If butt needs to be kicked, I'm wearing the right boots

"Ah'm fu' ", somehow seems to lack something or other, iimmc :D I think it needs a bit of stiff upper lip in there somewhere.

cheers,
M

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Maybe a bit too East coast Oor Willie you reckon?:eek:

Totally off the wall this one :)

One of my friends is an author and she's writing a modern tale but with some Scottish characters.

Imagine LordX is the off world guest of a race who are the epitome of young fit and eager students come marines....she wants the dialogue that LordX would use when as a guest in their home estates :rolleyes:
I've already pointed out the received pronunciation bit of the 'upper class' education, but she wants it, "Scottish'd".

1. I am really tired ( conduct a "tour" of the hunting grounds, leaving the man feeling every year)
Ehm richt puggled

Ehhm stappit. / As fu as a spuggie efter an epple.

Nae bother smackin' that fae here.

This is a braw spot.

Aye she's a richt bonnie quinine

Nah it wisnae a flukie shoat.

7. Okay, this IS the most beautiful location I have ever seen (pays bet to D F, youngish leader, ggdaughter of matriarch)
This is the bonniest place I've ever clapped eyes on.

If bahhokie needs skelpt, ave got the baits oan!

"Ah'm fu' ", somehow seems to lack something or other, iimmc :D I think it needs a bit of stiff upper lip in there somewhere.

cheers,
M

Rod Paradise

Oct 16, 2008
Upper Nithsdale, Dumfriesshire
Difficult to "Scot" it (works for me better than Scottishise somehow) - and have it for a Lord anyone. Reckon you need someone to 'Highland' it as that's more of a Lord accent - certainly the Ayrshire miners/Glasgow tongue from my neck of the woods doesn't lend itself to the character AFAICS, and would almost have to include words not likely to be appreciated on the forum.... Had a go anyway - but like I say, not very Laird-like.

Ah'm ****in knackered. (Could use "I'm fair puggled" that's posher).

Ah'm fu tae the brim.

Aye ah kin stoat it fae here.

This is smashin/stoattin/a wee brammer ae a bit.

She's a smasher/stoater/wee brammer/darlin.

Lucky ma airse. or Away you, nae luck in it!!

Awright, it's the brawest bit Ah've seen.

If it's airses needin kicked, ah've the richt bits oan.

cheers,
M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
:D

You've both summed up my problem with this :D
Vonnie seems to be under the impression that Scottish is one tongue and I can't get through to her that the Laird (much better word) wouldn't really use the same ones as the rest of us....well, not normally, iimmc.

:thankyou:
Mary

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Oh I dunno Toddy, the airs been pretty blue and colourful around a few Lairds in my time. I've even learnt new swearwords in their presence. But it'd be hard to do without becoming a cliché.

Rod Paradise

Oct 16, 2008
Upper Nithsdale, Dumfriesshire
Aye, while they can turn the air blue, their accent's far more likely to be public school/Kelvinside/Morningside, or Tuecheter. A translation from someone from Perth/or Inverness might do a better job.

OR just use normal english with wee bits from Goatboy's & my translations to give a Scots flavour?

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
:D

You've both summed up my problem with this :D
Vonnie seems to be under the impression that Scottish is one tongue and I can't get through to her that the Laird (much better word) wouldn't really use the same ones as the rest of us....well, not normally, iimmc.

:thankyou:
Mary

It might help to know a bit more about her intended audience. If they don't know the different Scottish accents then it really doesn't matter. To be honest even if they do know there's a couple of ways to keep it plausible; 1) keep to a single accent (preferably from the area that her character is from) or 2) cast said character as having been reared in several areas (although I suppose as a Laird this option would be unlikely without skillful writing)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I gather that the fellow is a secondary character in a long running tale. Basically she would like a more authentic tone to his language that makes it 'read' as Scottish, without me laughing myself silly at it.....like the bonnie plook ! :D :D

M

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I love a good anti-malarial medicine myself but I'd rather a bonnie quine to look after me ;)

No no! I was referring to being looked after by an invitingly lovely G&T to stop the malodorous malaria. No sorry was having trouble with auto correct and didn't notice it had changed it - sorry folks.

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
Am ****ed

Am Stuffed

Just call me John Wayne

4. This spot is beautiful
Braw

5. She is such a gorgeous woman (he is single, currently married to the job
She's gorgeous

****in Easy

Braw

Come here you wee ****

Last edited by a moderator:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE