Scat/Poo ID and Killed Bird ID Help

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
I made a determind effort to go out today, to my local wild woods, and ID as much -

• game trails, what made them
  • poo and ID what laid them
  • find Hazel (bows), Elderflower (for whistles) ID any other trees

As I could, taking some guides. Phone to be used as a web search backup. Although the battery was low.

Just as I started the wander, the peace was shattered by scramblers, who frequent some of the woods. Also a dog walker, whom I had a chat with and she had her spaniels off lead but not a Doberman 1yr old. She said it takes off and has just started sighting/scenting deer. She headed off and five minutes later, just as I was about to get my brew kit out, a large hind hammered passed me and had a Doberman chasing. I called it over and took it back up to where it saw the owner.

I would appreciate it if any 'experts' could ID any of the pics for me, either on the post or preferably via 'Comments' on the actual flickr images. I have my guesses from the Hamlyn Tracking guide, but would like confirmations.

I was shocked how much I did observe, deliberately walking slowly and scanning certainly helps.

These seemed to be put on slight rises/mounds on top of the rabbit poo.

???? by Scotstechy, on Flickr

Tunnel entrances 3m from Kill Site 2 feathers by Scotstechy, on Flickr

Kill Site 2 feathers by Scotstechy, on Flickr

Large Feather by Scotstechy, on Flickr

Near kill site 2

Scat/Poo by Scotstechy, on Flickr

Near kill site 2

Scat/Poo by Scotstechy, on Flickr

Kill Site 1

Bird Kill by Scotstechy, on Flickr

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Oh yes - if it can catch one.

If the feathers are bitten off its usually a mammal kill, if plucked out, its the sign of a raptor kill

harryhawk

Forager
Feb 6, 2009
Devon
Brown feathers with horizontal barring look like a female Sparrowhawk's feathers. Shame but it has been a tough winter.

harryhawk

Forager
Feb 6, 2009
Devon
Xena Spar.jpg
This is a female I used to fly. You can see the barring on her feathers.
We had a good flight on a Magpie that day...To the the victor, the spoils :)
Pound for pound they are the pyschos of the bird world. She'd take out feral cock pigeons 4 times her own body weight, granted I'd make in to help her out. But to see her come from under her prey, roll onto her back & bind to her quarry never ceased to amaze me:D

Last edited:

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Definitely fox scat in varying forms. Very typical to find them on a slight raise in the ground.
I'm going to go for Tawny Owl on the feather - *actually, scrap that - the bars ain't thick enough!

Last edited:

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Definitely fox scat in varying forms. Very typical to find them on a slight raise in the ground.
I'm going to go for Tawny Owl on the feather - *actually, scrap that - the bars ain't thick enough!

The fox who comes into our garden is some sort of gymnast. He balance's his terds on top of apples on the lawn.

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
I think the spar tail feather is incidental, it probably came off when it killed the Woodpigeon - from which the wings and feathers came from. The fox likely scavenged the carcass (no sign of a sternum which a spar couldn't consume) or at very least had a sniff of the remains and took a dump near them.

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
Thanks. ;) If I were there I'd have a sniff of the hole - a fox earth with cubs doesn't smell particularly foxy, to me they smell of a well used Gents toilet at a pub!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE