Scandinavia and wild camping

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Don't be a softie - do that route in winter:)

The Adventurerider website is brilliant for that sort of info, as I gather you've already found out. (and bought their magazine recently, only to find a certain John Fenna appearing on virtually every page!)
For cooking, might be worth looking for an Optimus 8/8R. For decades it was the biker's cooker of choice for its compactness, simplicity and reliability, plus ability to refill with petrol from the bike tank! And I remember well rows of aircooled beemers in winter with them under their sumps, trying to thin out the oil sufficiently to allow the engine to turn over on frosty mornings:)

Bury_Dave

Nov 28, 2011
Suffolk
No thanks Andy - 6 full winters in Canda's Far North on oil and gas expolration were enough :D Where were you that you remember bike sumps being pre-heated with 8R's ? I alway plugged my truck / skidoos / quads into generators with plug and battery and coolant heaters. Happy days they were too.

stoves are a real Marmite thing. I've had many stoves over the years but still end up using my Whisperlite most of the time. I do also use a Trangia I've had since 1978, as well as a WW2 US Army petrol stove and a 1950's Primus.

I'm torn between bothering with the Whisperlite (same fuel as bike...) or a Hobo stove with a Trangia burner and meths as back-up. Ideally I'd like to use open fires wherever practicable. And like i also mentioned earlier (but everyone seems to have ignored) perhaps having a go with a Tommy cooker too. I'll be sure to get a few photos of my various cooking methods and meals as i go :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE