Scandinavia and wild camping

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bury_Dave

Nov 28, 2011
Suffolk
I'm heading to Nordkapp from the ferry terminal at Esbjerg on my motorbike in late June / early July this year for 2-3 weeks. Crossing into Copenhagen and then to Oslo and from there via minor roads all the way to Nordkapp and then back down along the Norwegian coastline. Should be fun :)

Whilst I've travelled and camped all over Europe (and farther afield ) and my skills are fine, I am not sure about the legalities of wild camping. I think that there is a right to camp if not on someone elses land if it is being inhabited. Are there regular official but wild campsites like in Canada where there are fixed firepits ? Are wild fires tolerated if completely cleaned up ? (Is there an issue with peaty areas ?). Can you just stop your bike and pitch your tent at the side of the road ? I've done plenty of covert wild camping over the years but it would be nice not to have to do that if it isn't necessary.

Will I miss the worst of the midgies ?

Hopefully some helpful Scandies will be able to pitch in and help me out here. :)

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I'm heading to Nordkapp from the ferry terminal at Esbjerg on my motorbike in late June / early July this year for 2-3 weeks. Crossing into Copenhagen and then to Oslo and from there via minor roads all the way to Nordkapp and then back down along the Norwegian coastline. Should be fun :)

Whilst I've travelled and camped all over Europe (and farther afield ) and my skills are fine, I am not sure about the legalities of wild camping. I think that there is a right to camp if not on someone elses land if it is being inhabited. Are there regular official but wild campsites like in Canada where there are fixed firepits ? Are wild fires tolerated if completely cleaned up ? (Is there an issue with peaty areas ?). Can you just stop your bike and pitch your tent at the side of the road ? I've done plenty of covert wild camping over the years but it would be nice not to have to do that if it isn't necessary.

Will I miss the worst of the midgies ?

Hopefully some helpful Scandies will be able to pitch in and help me out here. :)

Generally, you are fine and have the right to camp. As long as its not in a field, garden, close to someones property (150m is the guideline) and don't leave a mess then you will be good. Fire regulations vary, often fires are banned in dry periods and this will need checking.

I've done most of your trip by car, just not up to Nordkapp. You're in for the trip of a lifetime :) Make sure you see Jotunheimen, Rondana, Jostedalsbreen, Hardanger, The Troll wall and the area around Geiranger. Truly stunning scenery. Very jealous of the northern part of your trip. Riding the road up the Troll wall on bike is on my bucket list :)

IME, the midges are nothing compared to the Mossies, although Norway isn't so bad for them and that time of year is about right to avoid them.

Bury_Dave

Nov 28, 2011
Suffolk
Skaukraft and Teepee, many thanks for your advice.

I'm just trying to put together a route with some places to see (but without being too prosctiptive and fixed...) and your recommendations Teepee are most welcome.

I'll post a link to the post trip ride report once it's in the past tense. :)

Bury_Dave

Nov 28, 2011
Suffolk
Well, looks like a friend of mine wants to come along on his bike. We are meeting in Hamburg on the 2nd June and have 'til the 18th. Might make it interesting weatherwise and snow-wise in the northern section so early in the summer ....... ;) Skaukraft, any thoughts on the weather that time of year ?

Scoping out a route and linking Teepee's recommendations. Adding in the Norsk Hydro plant :)

Last edited:
You'll have a great trip, I've done it several times by car and friends did it on bikes (which is very popular) couple of years ago.

Maybe you are going via Germany now, but I was going to recommend going Esberg, then up through Denmark to Skargen and short ferry from Fredrikshaven to Gothenburg.

In Norway on a bike you obviously must go up through Opdal / Romsdal and over Troll Stigen to Geiranger....

stream_file.asp

You will find plenty of places to camp, just be considerate and sensible. Fires not allowed in certain areas in summer. There will be plenty of mosquitos when away from the coast in sheltered areas. Roads should be all clear at that time of year, but there will be snow on the tops.

Bury_Dave

Nov 28, 2011
Suffolk
Thanks for the info David.

My route I'm intending was Harwich to Esbjerg the wanted to go via Copenhagen and up to Oslo. From tehre the interior road in Sweden E45 to Nordkapp. From Nordkapp back down was E6 with a few detours and ending up south of Trondheim and visiting the Troll wall and maybe cutting across country to Rukjan to see the scene of the Norwegian commando raid. Will now have to look to see where THAT road is as i must do it !

Where and when are you in Suffolk? I am in Bury St Edmunds.

Is there some interest for me to post a trip report here ? I appreciate that this is a bushcraft forum but i plan to use lots of bushcraft skills (many learned of or improved thanks to this place) in the wild camping.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Glad we were of some help BD :)

Linking Rjukan to Geirangerfjord and the nearby Trollstigen is a good option and I did that the first time. There is a famous stone to have your picture taken above Geiranger at the side of the road, its an epic shot.

From memory (its been a while) as you climb the Trollstigen road, it drops down into Geiranger.

Lots one here will interested in your trip, posting a report is mandatory now :)

Last edited:

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Where and when are you in Suffolk? I am in Bury St Edmunds.

Hi, good to see another suffolk guy getting about, looks liek a great trip, I was going to do that road in the pic a few years ago with a group of mate on the bikes but broke my leg and they went with out me :-(, have a good trip mate.

Bury_Dave

Nov 28, 2011
Suffolk
Cheers Stu. Me and my little puukko are looking forward to it immensely. Time will soon fly by.

And it's never too late to do the trip yourself ....... :)

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Cheers Stu. Me and my little puukko are looking forward to it immensely. Time will soon fly by.

And it's never too late to do the trip yourself ....... :)

I will one day, but at the mo the Trumpets offthe road, what with job change and cut backs its in moth balls, one day... :)

Bury_Dave

Nov 28, 2011
Suffolk
Sorry to hear that Stu but I'm sure you'll do it when you can.

Thought I'd chuck my kit list on here for those with an interest ......

Bike BMW F800GS

Bike clothing
Helmet – open faced
Goggles – one pair tinted and one clear
Gloves short leather
Gloves long with goretex
Barbour suit
Fleece trousers
Fleece gilet – Patagonia retro fleece
Long johns
Long sleeve wool thermal.
Thick socks 2pr
Daytona Travel Star gtx boots
Fleece face mask and 2 buffs
Hi-viz vest + overtrousers
Sheepskin seat cover
Wolfman hypalon panniers and BMW top box (with spare fuel cans fitted to sides.

Bike tools
Compressor - shared
Tyre change kit.
Spare tubes
Spare bulbs kit
Usual toolkit - shared

Camping kit
Tent – USMC issue
Down sleeping bag – very old Karrimor Lhotse
Cotton liner for above
Sleeping mat - Thermarest luxury map large
Hobo stove
Pot and mug, pot handler and spoon – all titanium
Lighter - petrol
Small knife – Hankala Lastuu
Folding saw - Fiskars
Tarp. With bungies. ?? Might be handy for stops in the rain
Telescopic fishing rod plus floats and hooks.
Trivet
Hexamine blocks – shared
Small tuppaware and couple of Ziploc bags

Clothing
Jeans
Shorts
Boxers , wool 2 prs
Moccasins - Steger
T-shirts x 2
Long sleeved shirt
Fleece hat
Merino wool sweater

Miscellaneous stuff
Map, route and POI / great roads marked on it
Bike GPS
Spare glasses
Some contact lenses
DSLR Camera, memory card and charger.
iPhone + bike charger
money
credit card
passport + colour photocopies
travel insurance
sunscreen
mozzie headnet
inspect repellent – shared

Emergency items
Matches
Tins of sardines
Packet soups
Strobe – flashing bicycle red LED light

More than enough !!

And the bike .....

IMG_001.jpg

Last edited:
FAC?
Bog Roll?
Maybe a few Mepps for fishing kit, or bubble float and a few flies.

By the way, if you enjoy a tipple at camp of an evening, best to buy it before you go or on the ferry.
I'm not a biker, so don't know about the need for spare fuel tanks, but I know that up there you are not often more than i hour from a petrol station, unless you're really out in the sticks.

Bury_Dave

Nov 28, 2011
Suffolk
Quite right David ! Bog roll and waterbottle / camelbak plus a daysack. And a hipflask ! I have a couple of older aircrew fishing survival kits that have everything i need in them and all nice and compact. But thank you for reminding me of the (not-so in this case) obvious. Those are the things you can easily forget ! I'll amend the list on my computer :)

Regards fuel, i normally carry 2 x 1 litre sigg bottles on tour and one generally. I've never run out of fuel but the amount of times I've helped someone who has is unbelievable ! It's the only times i ever have someone pleased to see me ! My F800 has a range of 250 miles on a tankful at sensible speeds. Normal fuel economy of 60mpg when clicking along at speed and up to 117mpg at 40 mph and that gives a tank range of nearly 300 miles.

I'll be using a hobo stove but was wondering if anyone has ever used a Tommy cooker ? A tin filled with sand and doused in petrol. Like the Desert Rats used in WW2. I imagine a used baked bean tin, half filled with the sand and with some petrol added might be something i should experiment with for one-times uses. After, just empty and crush the can and stash it in the rubbish bag.

Last edited:

Bury_Dave

Nov 28, 2011
Suffolk
Actually David, there are websites with the GPS files for all petrol stations pretty much anywhere in the world. I also have all the BMW motorcycle dealers in as POI's too - just in case ! :)

But you have reminded me to actually download them and put them into my GPS. Cheers

The real question is should i stop often to look for birch burl to bring home...... ?

Apr 23, 2012
oslo, norway
Bury-Dave,
June/July you should have no problems even on the higher roads. You will not escape the mosquito's - they are depending on you! A headnet could save your nights sleep. If there are no mosquitoes then it's raining. The "Allemannsretten" is the law regulating your access to non-arable land, more than 150 meters from other habitation, so virtually anywhere then. There are local restrictions for both camping and fires, they will be signposted.
HansP has done a lot of research, please read carefully - http://www.mc-addict.com/ -and remember, the police, if you see any, enforce the speed limits.
My personal opinion is the ride to the North Cape is over hyped. Apart from anything else it is not continent, its an island, and it is not the most northerly point, that is the far less dramatic Knivskjellodden. Most travellers I have talked to feel they were taken for a sucker, but they have been to the North.
Please be advised that traffic from your right has priority unless there is a "give-way" sign.
Remember too that both domestic and wild animals use the roads.
Bikes can ride to the front of ferry queues, the crew pop you in the little spaces.
I would be happy to answer any other questions,

Have a good trip, maybe see you on the road, I ride the R 80 GS Basic, just perfect for Norway.

Peter, in Oslo

Bury_Dave

Nov 28, 2011
Suffolk
Hi Peter, many thanks for your advice. Can't beat on-the-ground , local intel :)

Nordkapp is the goal simply for having a goal and i won't be entering the 'Nordkapp Experience !' It's all more about riding for the sake of riding but doing it through some beautiful scenery.

Since my original post, I have checked out sites like ADVRider and UKGSer forums and found some individually published webpages of trip reports. ALL mention the speeding fines !

I have a mozzie headnet - a legacy of working in Northern Canada in summer - mozzies and blackflies ! I am prepared for them but if i am on the road at a time of year when they are slightly less plentiful, that is a bonus.

I've also checked out some of the great rides on Bestbikingroads.com Just I'd rather ride a route with a couple of detours than just cris-cross Norway hunting the very best roads.

I'll take you up on your kind offer of further contact if I may ? Just need to get past my daughter's wedding on 26th Jan and then I'll be better able to concentrate again :)

And your R80 is a perfect bike for sensible speed touring.

Oh, that link is very good indeed. Many thanks for that !

If we make it to Oslo, we'll give you a call for a beer !

Cheers,
Dave

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE