Scandi knife w/ viking sheath

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
Hey folks, just finished this today to show off. Off to norway soon and wanted a new knife to use for work but also disposable so i won't be too bothered if it is lost or confiscated at any airports for any reason so decided to make one. This is my second knife handled

kankaanpaa carbon blade, leather bolster, and yew for the handle. I used a lathe for the very first time to make the handle, and i must say it was a lot of fun. then came the tricky part of trying to get the blade set nice and centre but i think i managed it fairly well. the only downside was that i turned the yew, made the slot for the blade, and then added the leather and glued it all together which meant i had to cut/sand down the leather without ruining the handle which had been sanded and polished on the lathe. the result is the leather is a bit patchy round the joins but as it is for myself im not bothered

For the sheath i wanted a viking style with horizontal carry. i moulded the inner lining from some wood pulp/plastic sheet i got from a member here. put it in oven and mould it round the blade works a charm. Then wet moulded veg tan round that, made some mystery braid straps and stitched with artificial sinew and dyed antique brown and added plenty of neatsfoot oil. overall im chuffed

uexd.jpg

lfwb.jpg

x9lz.jpg

hqx6.jpg

8792.jpg

looks damn fine on my viking belt i made the other month

gyk3.jpg

thanks for looking

Last edited:

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
That turned out lovely Hamish. Is it the blade I traded you? In that case the brand is kankaanpaa and not a lauri.
The sheath is just gorgeous. Seems practical in every way:) Great job.

Dreadhead

Looks great Hamish. I like the Yew handle. goodjob

thanks bud

me likes! how much does something like that cost to make? You should go to the viking show up at Holy Island! :viking:

I got the blade in a trade. the yew for free. so that was just time using the lathe. the leather i bought ages ago and wasn't much. so all i really paid for was the artificial sinew. took me 3-4 hours to make the handle and fit it all. and 3-4 hours to make the sheath start to finish

That turned out lovely Hamish. Is it the blade I traded you? In that case the brand is kankaanpaa and not a lauri.
The sheath is just gorgeous. Seems practical in every way:) Great job.

yes it is :) thanks i thought it was lauri. either way it is a beautiful blade very pleased with it

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Nice one HAmish, I like the simple look, and like Mystery braids, got to do some more soon, and keep my hand in.. I always forget how to do them....

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway
That is a lovely set! I really like it.

One question: How do you get leather hard enough to use as a bolster? Or is that not a problem if you use leather that is thick enough?

Dreadhead

That is a lovely set! I really like it.

One question: How do you get leather hard enough to use as a bolster? Or is that not a problem if you use leather that is thick enough?

Mesquite is right, i dipped it in hot beeswax. it goes fairly hard. but i have also had the handle sitting in linseed oil for a few days which may have softened it up a little but either way it doesnt really affect the knife much

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE