Scandi ground folder

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Ok so which scandi ground folder would you recomend (on a tight budget)

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk 2

Hammock Hamster

Feb 17, 2012
Kent
I have one of these

http://www.heinnie.com/Knives/Enzo-Knives/PK70-Birch/p-92-756-8067/

and its a well built, functional knife with a wickedly sharp edge thats very easy to maintain, the squarish handle can be a little uncomfortable for prolonged use though.

That said i tend to favour my Svord peasant mini more and more these days which is a hell of a lot cheaper is you disregard the fact its not a scandi grind.

Hamster

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE
Lovely...... but spendy

This is lovely...........and spendy

9255.jpg

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
How good are you with a drill, file and saw?

I made these two from a £5 hultafors heavy duty knife and a £15 no.2 mora classic.

During the making I noticed there is plenty of steel on the back end of the blades to make friction folders!

Now if you can operate things like drills, dremels, files etc you could have a great project on your hands and a nice scandi knife for very little money! :)

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
How good are you with a drill, file and saw?

I made these two from a £5 hultafors heavy duty knife and a £15 no.2 mora classic.

During the making I noticed there is plenty of steel on the back end of the blades to make friction folders!

Now if you can operate things like drills, dremels, files etc you could have a great project on your hands and a nice scandi knife for very little money! :)

Oh no! You've planted an idea in my head! I wonder if a disc cutter would go through mora steel. :)

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
The eka look hollow ground with a secondary bevel? Is this the case?

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE
The eka look hollow ground with a secondary bevel? Is this the case?

Yes indeed you are correct, as were the original scandi grinds, extremely shallow hollow grinds, which some people prefer to put a micro-bevel on to strengthen the edge.

I have an Alan Wood Woodlore knife that has this grind, made deliberately by the maker for initial ease of sharpening.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Oh no! You've planted an idea in my head! I wonder if a disc cutter would go through mora steel. :)

Even a dremel will ;)

Infact, a dremel tool is the best job as it's very easy to control! hardest part is drilling the steel, as I have found out over and over.. I need some decent cobalt bits (broke two in 5 minutes last try!)

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
I have a cunning plan!!!! Watch this space...

Samon you have a lot to answer for......

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE