Saw my first red squirrel

Feygan

Forager
Oct 14, 2006
Northern Ireland
After years and thousands of hrey squirrels, I never thought I get that exited when I finally saw a wild red. I couldn't have been more wrong, was out this morning in Loughmore Forest and spotted one just at a tree base, I must have sat and watched it for about 20 mintes before it scarpered up the tree. Not sure if it was the newness or they're rarity nowadays, but it had me totally enthralled. Definitly going to be one of those mental "first sighting" moments that will be able to be recalled in perfect clarity for years. Gotta love it when you get to see a first time for something.

Oakleaf

Jun 6, 2004
Moray
Feygan

Know exactly what you mean - specifically and generally.

Blessed with Red squirrels up at the cottage ( Moray ), with anything up to 9 holding court on the grass and in the trees within feet of the front door.

All life is special and very 'human' thing to try ranking or listing things - but for me, the Red Squirrel remains under the heading 'Breathtaking'. Very subjective I know - not seeking a debate etc, just one view etc.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Aren't they fantastic. I remember having them run all over my arms and feed from my hands as a kid - I've loved them ever since (not that that's a surprice given my avatar and nickname)

Red

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Feygan,
You are one of the blessed! They really are wonderful creatures. I have the them at my birdtable as I live up against a coniferous woodland. Some of mine have gone very dark this year, nearly black, in their winter coats. This might be a sign of hard weather to come. :rolleyes:

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
fred gordon said:
Feygan,
You are one of the blessed! They really are wonderful creatures. I have the them at my birdtable as I live up against a coniferous woodland. Some of mine have gone very dark this year, nearly black, in their winter coats. This might be a sign of hard weather to come. :rolleyes:

Maybe (interesting observation), but also red squirrels living in spruce forests have generally darker fur than the ones living in pine forests.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Hi Fred - I hope to see them in two weeks time then we are are looking for a cottage in your area - there goes the neighbourhood :D

Red

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
British Red said:
Hi Fred - I hope to see them in two weeks time then we are are looking for a cottage in your area - there goes the neighbourhood :D

Red
OH No!!! :lmao: Let me know where you end up and thanks for the warning! :p

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE