Savotta Hawu 4 tent

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
The army IS the Finnish Defence Force.
I do not think it is a prototype, far from it.

I think the reason why you can not find much about it is that most of us from/in Fenno Scandinavia do what you call 'bushcrafting' in a different way.
If we stay in one place, then the main thing is fishing and hunting.
If we trek overland, the main thing is the walking, maybe a spot of fishing, taking pictures, looking.

The actual tenting, shelter and the associated duties ( cooking, tent, collecting a snack in season) are a means to do other stuff, not the actual main goal.

shaneh

Nomad
Feb 10, 2009
Colchester
The army IS the Finnish Defence Force.
I do not think it is a prototype, far from it.

I think the reason why you can not find much about it is that most of us from/in Fenno Scandinavia do what you call 'bushcrafting' in a different way.
If we stay in one place, then the main thing is fishing and hunting.
If we trek overland, the main thing is the walking, maybe a spot of fishing, taking pictures, looking.

The actual tenting, shelter and the associated duties ( cooking, tent, collecting a snack in season) are a means to do other stuff, not the actual main goal.

Appoligse for my ignorance.

I ment that it's a working "prototype" / finished product for testing?

If they are trying to sell to the army, then they have a working item (in which to sell) or for them to at least trial, better than selling an idea off paperwork. I'm only saying this because the Army hasn't purchased them.

As for your idea of bushcraft, it makes sense.
Thank you.

Last edited:

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
I can't speak for their tents but their packs are top notch (I have four and one made by them for Varusteleka).

Last edited:
Reactions: Janne and shaneh

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
In production, so a 'finished' item. Since 2017.

Google, and you will find a good amount of info on the bet. In Finnish mainly. Google translate should work?

If you are looking into other, proper quality tents, check out the Swedish companies I mentioned earlier.

Also, look into a Czech company called Technolen. They make own brand tents, and also make tents for several European quality brands.
Their own brand tents are not made for the extreme trmperatures or usage a Scandinavian ( or Finnish) tent is designed for, so it will suit Britain well.

Last edited:

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
PS. Hawu is another way of writing havu. Havu is this:
pihta-havu.jpg

A piece of pine branch. It is a very strong symbol in Finland.
One example: in 1918 civil war in Finland, the pine branch was the symbol for the white guard (led by Mannerheim). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finnish_Civil_War

Last edited:
Reactions: Janne

shaneh

Nomad
Feb 10, 2009
Colchester
Made the jump and bought the tent,

Thanks for all your help making that decision.
It wasnt easy!

Put up a mini review on a different thread.
Pictures below for interest.

Attachments

• 20190529_154001.jpg
    20190529_154001.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 33
  • 20190530_124832.jpg
    20190530_124832.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 35
  • 20190529_074248.jpg
    20190529_074248.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Reactions: ianj and Snufkin

ianj

Nov 11, 2019
Braintree
I bought Hawu 4 back in May, used it as a base camp for a week long bushcraft course.
it`s a really good tent for that kind of use. for backpacking I would use my Akto

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE