Savotta Hawu 4 tent

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

shaneh

Nomad
Feb 10, 2009
Colchester
Anybody own one of these beasts?

A

Savotta Hawu 4 tent.

Have you used one, and have any comments to make? Have you seen one and have anything to say??

I haven't seen one apart from the reviews on Utube.

Just got back from a 3 day trip using my Pathfinder Scout Tarp and finding it a little small for what I need it for...

Want to upgrade!

I have a genuine WW2 U.S 5 Man Arctic Warfare Tent and it's a BEAST, with bright yellow liner. One of the best tents I own, however being soo heavy it takes a couple of people to move it around (you can't actually split the canvas into sections), only the liner comes out and thus making it impractical when out on my own.

The design and practability of this U.S tent is amazing heavyweight material, good enough height to stand in, it keeps the warmth in when using a woodburner due to the liner...

What I would like is a more portable example!
I'm looking at the Savotta Hawu 4 tent...

Talk me into or out of getting one?

Last edited:

shaneh

Nomad
Feb 10, 2009
Colchester
When you say trek, the woods I go to are about two miles from the road I get dropped off at...

So it's not too far to walk with...

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
No, that is short. Trek = doing maybe 20-30 km a day.

As I wrote - no experience, but the product seems to be fantastic.
The Finns are almost as good as us Swedes designing outdoor equipment..
:)
:)

shaneh

Nomad
Feb 10, 2009
Colchester
Doing a half marathon with heavy weights every day are well and truly past me now...

Just some piece and quiet every now and again is all I need..

Anybody can be uncomfortable, And that's a true statement...

This tent looks a palace, just wondering if it's worth the price tag?

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
From their website, the info is that it is made from first class materials. Some interrsting features, like a quick escape, in case of the unlikely scenarion you get a fire inside ( sleepingbags I assume as the tent fabric is fire retardant).

Apart from the weight the only two negatives (imo) is that there is no floor fabric, you need to buy it separately ( around 300 Euros, 5 kilos or so) and the actual height of the tent.
I do not think you can sit comfortably in it.

Cost? Yes high, around 1300 Euros, buy compared to other high quality tents ( Fjällräven, Hillebergs) not so bad.

As that company are contractors to the Finnish armed forces they not only know HOW to design, but also manufacture to a very high standard.
Your grand children will inherit it.

shaneh

Nomad
Feb 10, 2009
Colchester
QUOTE="Janne, post: 1895126, member: 47509"] Apart from the weight the only two negatives (imo) is that there is no floor fabric, you need to buy it separately ( around 300 Euros, 5 kilos or so) and the actual height of the tent.[/QUOTE]

I don't think you can purchase a floor for the Hawu 4 person tent, only there SA-10 / 20 models. I have a couple of tents which don't have floors for, yes it can be a small issue, but I just use an 8ft x 4ft sheet of Black Tyvec for eack person which weighs virtually nothing.

Hawu 4 person tent, 8kg, 1300 euros.
No way suited to backpacking

Is it No way suited for backpacking, because of its weight or cost? Or both?

For a short distance, a couple of miles, I think its doable, But then the weight goes up if you add a stove, food, water, and all your kit...

Last edited:

shaneh

Nomad
Feb 10, 2009
Colchester
The weight isn't an issue for what I need it for, and it's clearly stated how much it weight..

If I'm gonna cary it, it wont be for huge distances and if its in the boot of a car neither is it a problem..

What I want to know is whats the Quality and Durability loke I've seen the reviews, limited though they are on UTube.

I wondered if anybody (on here) owned one or had used one or had seen one and for there comments if it were worth:-

A: The money
B: Is the weight worth carrying I can't touch, see or smell one without first parting with money...

I trust ley people rather than company, designers or people getting paid to make a review, because its gonna be biased...

Last edited:

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
Well the cost depends a lot on each person and their income. Biggest issue I would say is the weight. It´s Ok for a military unit because they can change carrier of tent between them (allthough they all carry heavy burdens). But they are usually very well trained and in excellent condition.

Reactions: shaneh

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
He will not take it for a two week trip along the Kungsleden, it will be moved only a kilometer or two, so he should be fine.

It is the height that is more of a concern imo.
Difficult to sit in when the rain hits.

shaneh

Nomad
Feb 10, 2009
Colchester
He will not take it for a two week trip along the Kungsleden, it will be moved only a kilometer or two, so he should be fine.

It is the height that is more of a concern imo.
Difficult to sit in when the rain hits.

Looking at the sizes you have a very good point.

The low tent height with have good weather shedding abilities, but with a loss of head room...

But better heat control. Better coolness in summer due to fabric.

My Pathfinder Scout Tarp has a head height of 4ft 6in. The Savotta Hawu 4 man is 5ft 4in not much of a difference!

They do a 6 man tent, but I think that would be too heavy to carry even a short distance at 11kg. Not only that but too big when set up! With a head height of 5ft 9in.

Hmmm

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
They are designed low because of concieability issues.
A low tent is easier to disguise with pine and birch boughts, plus sheets of moss.

The height is in the middle, where there is maybe space for one/two persons sitting intimately close.

Personally I would trust this company and buy it unseen, if I was buying a new Fenno Scandinavia suitable tent I did not have to carry..

Fjallraven and Hillebergs make fantastic tents too, higher and lighter. I would ( and have) trusted them too.

Reactions: shaneh

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
I don´t know if it is in service but i do know that Savotta has been demonstrating the tent for finnish defence forces.
From time to time I spend time in a town with a military unit stationed there and have seen the Hawu tent pitched with military personel and civilian personel around it. And a civilian van with Savotta written on it.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
as Herman writes.

I think they claim it is designed for their Ranger units.( As they supply the Finnish armed forces with some equipment, I see no reason why they should tell fibs!)

If they have a similar structured as Swedish Ranger units, they operate either in 8 man units ( 'jagar grupp' in Swedish) or half grupp, 4 men.

shaneh

Nomad
Feb 10, 2009
Colchester
Interesting..

So by the sound of it, it's like a prototype, that they are trying to get the army to purchase? Maybe the finnish defence force?

Can't find anything on the internet, but then there is very little information about this tent.

But that would give credit to its build quality.

shaneh

Nomad
Feb 10, 2009
Colchester
as Herman writes.

I think they claim it is designed for their Ranger units.( As they supply the Finnish armed forces with some equipment, I see no reason why they should tell fibs!)

If they have a similar structured as Swedish Ranger units, they operate either in 8 man units ( 'jagar grupp' in Swedish) or half grupp, 4 men.

Then this also substantiates their armed forces sales pitch then, with a 4 -6 and an 8 - 10 man setup.

Thanks

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE