save space with fold flat cookware?

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I had two last year, sorry, they are crap, the studs pop at the wrong time, you know, when its full of stew etc

I've got one left, if anybody wants it pm me your address and I'll post it on to you

Bushcraft4life

Settler
Dec 31, 2006
Rochester, Kent
Thanks for the heads up mate i was just about to buy some. I wouldn't mind having one of the cup versions but i couldn't really see (as much as i would like) them holding a big load of hot soup or stew.

GoatBoy666

Tenderfoot
Jul 27, 2005
West London
Ive been using them for a couple of years. Well before the dragons den episode.
The bowl is ok but I espcially like the plate, its always in my pack.
Cant say I had any popper exploding moments in all the times Ive used them. Maybe I was making light stew... :D
Dont think much of the cup, little bit fidderly, and not to large or stable.
The plate is a doddle to clean in the field as it opens flat. Can be used as funnle, filter or chopping board etc.
Because it packs flat I slide it down against the back of ruck sack. So easy to find when it needed. Takes up know space and weight is minimal. Hope this helps. :cool:

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
locust_jrm said:
I think that they just set up the site. They are fantasic they save so much space in your pack which you can use for food. mmmm food :)

Sorry to do a bit of hi-jacking here, but I almost fell of my chair laughing at your signature!!

And as torjusg said, it seems to be taken from birch bark cooking vessels. But I think this would be great, first you can save space, and then you can use it as a pattern to try to make your own birch bark vessels. Great stuff!

cyclist

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 9, 2006
holstein
big_swede said:
Sorry to do a bit of hi-jacking here, but I almost fell of my chair laughing at your signature!!

And as torjusg said, it seems to be taken from birch bark cooking vessels. But I think this would be great, first you can save space, and then you can use it as a pattern to try to make your own birch bark vessels. Great stuff!

hm, let´s see ... you really take birch bark or this made_from-crude-oil copy, put your food in and place it over an open fire to prepare a meal? Ever tried to collect water from a Scandinavian white water with it? :eek: :) :lmao: :D

I can´t see any advantage over a 1 liter ti pot plus bowl (as a lid) combo

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
When leading expeds in forign parts I carry 1 or 2 bowls for the prat who loses/breaks their own as well as a hygenic cutting board. It is great kit and the latest ones are popper free and some are marked up for chess etc - not overly bushy but very good for youth expeds!
John

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
cyclist said:
hm, let´s see ... you really take birch bark or this made_from-crude-oil copy, put your food in and place it over an open fire to prepare a meal? Ever tried to collect water from a Scandinavian white water with it? :eek: :) :lmao: :D

As long as the flames doesn't go over the waterline, you are in theory fine, even with paper. :)

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
cyclist said:

Yes I have collected water from white waters with folded birch vessel, no problem! And I have cooked in them as well, no problem either! Of course they don't have any advantages over titanium pots (if that's what you're referring to), neither does a lean-to compared to a hotel! I thought that this forum was about bushcraft, not hi-tech hiking stuff. And with that in mind I thought that it would be nice to use the foldable cookware as a model.

@locust The paper wont become soden as long as it's water left inside. You can boil water even in a freezer bag over open fire. Try it. ;)

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Any chance of some photos and a bit of a how-to on those birch bark vessels from either torjusg or big_swede? It's something I've heard of many times and a really interesting idea, but I've never seen it done. ;)

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
gregorach said:
Any chance of some photos and a bit of a how-to on those birch bark vessels from either torjusg or big_swede? It's something I've heard of many times and a really interesting idea, but I've never seen it done. ;)

I'll do it if you remind me in the spring.

Right now, I only have one remaining sheet of solid birch bark and that is going to become one of potentially two berry pickers. :D

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
gregorach said:

No photos by me, unfortunately. But here is a suggestion how to make a simple kuksa:
ksa.jpg

The same technique with the wooden spring clip to hold the vessel together can also be used for making a rectangular cooking vessel. For lid, a single sheet of bark can be used.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE