SAS Special Air Service anyone??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Solitude

Tenderfoot
Firstly im not in the SAS, however i did have a stab at it in 2005. I was rejected on medical reasons.

Did you know the SAS are looking for recruits?

Did you know that you can enter as a civilian? in 21 or 23 T.A regiments. This can also be a back door into regular SAS however you will have to do Selection again!!

I met a group of great guys on selection and wanted to let any prospective lads upto age 32 know that there is an option to enter as a civi.

If anyone wants to discuss this there is only limited info i can/will give you, the rest you will have to find out for yourselves.

Basic requirements for entry are a to be able to run 1.5 miles in 9minutes or under, Bleep test from 0 to level 11 or higher, and be able to run 8 miles in an hour. These are the basic (underlined) foundations to have a pop at it. It requires alot of dedication and fitness commitment.

With an interest in bushcraft you will be one step ahead of the others.

http://www.army.mod.uk/uksf/index.htm

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
I wouldn't mind having a go at selection (as a personal goal typa thing) but I don't think I'd actually want to serve in the SAS.

Kane

Forager
Aug 22, 2005
UK
Have a read of "The Quiet Soldier: on Selection with 21 SAS" by Adam Ballinger - no idea on the accuracy but IIRC it was a good read :)

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
I retired in 1995 (joined in 1988) after a parachute incident ... bit of a nasty one :( Anyway, served my time in the Gulf - pretty cold for the time of year. Can't say much more - if you know what I'm saying :tapedshut

;)
:p
:lmao:

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
I think the Adam Ballinger book is fairly out of date now as well isn't it, with regard to what happens on selection etc?

What's a bleep test?

Jodie, a bleep test is this:-

You set two 'stations' 20 metres apart.
You play a special CD / Tape that plays beeps at regular intervals.
You have to run between the two station and arrive at the point in time with the beep.
As the test goes on, every 60 seconds it moves up in 'levels', and with each level the space between the beeps gets shorter (meaning you have to move quicker), so it gets progressively harder.
At some point you will get knackered and won't be able to keep up with the beeps. Whatever level you are on at the time is considered your 'score'

According to wikipedia - "The level required for Army officers at selection is 10.2, Royal Marine Officers at least 11.0 and Royal Navy officers about 8 - 9.0."

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
I think the Adam Ballinger book is fairly out of date now as well isn't it, with regard to what happens on selection etc?

You have to run between the two station and arrive at the point in time with the beep.
As the test goes on, every 60 seconds it moves up in 'levels', and with each level the space between the beeps gets shorter (meaning you have to move quicker), so it gets progressively harder.
At some point you will get knackered and won't be able to keep up with the beeps. Whatever level you are on at the time is considered your 'score'

According to wikipedia - "The level required for Army officers at selection is 10.2, Royal Marine Officers at least 11.0 and Royal Navy officers about 8 - 9.0."

.....and when i applied for the Police...........level 5!!!

mind you, you are also allowed 9 points on your driving license

scoops_uk

Nomad
Feb 6, 2005
Jurassic Coast

You mean it's nothing to do with mastering a typical squaddie dialect ;)

Scoops

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE