sandhoppers?

Bluefrog

Nomad
Apr 20, 2010
Tywyn North/Mid Wales
Sat around a fire on a summers evening on a beach on the west cost of Scotland; me and my dad noticed all of the sandhoppers hopping towards the fire. Over time a ring began to emerge around the fire, of course this ring was a ring of 'cooked' sandhoppers.This was some time ago and i only remember it after watching kiwi eating them on david attenboroughs the life of birds.
I was wondering if sandhoppers were considered edible as it requires very little gathering and quite a few built up. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
Ste

Bluefrog

Nomad
Apr 20, 2010
Tywyn North/Mid Wales
i think their edible! i found a picture on Furgus Drennans website :) on the left called sandhoppers, they look good, a bit like small shrimp. there very easy to catch all you need is a light (fire) and they will be attracted to it. there is no/little gathering involved the easiest protein snack ever, i just hope they taste good :/

sand%20hoppers.jpg

marcusleftthesite

On a new journey
Sep 28, 2006
Blummin things when I used to beach fish they would jump at the pressure lantern all night.If you left a fish on the beach uncovered they would strip it bare !!

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Mmmmmm, they look nice, a touch of safron & ' flambé ' with a generous dose of Armagnac, with prehaps a side dish of lightly safroned whole grain rice & a mixed edibles & seaweed stir fry, again flambé but with either a little vodka or saki.................now that's what I call beach foraging

They are crustacae, & eat rotting vegtable matter, I can't see why they wouldn't be edible, unless they have eaten toxic algae,....... small shrimps don't look appetising either until they've been cooked, .............I've never tasted them, but the next time I have the oppotunity, I may try.

Last edited:

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
Try going for an evening stroll along a beach with your missus and then the little buggers coming out in a swarm that almost literally carpets the beach. There were many a screams as SWMBO ran back to the car, and many a sandhopper in the shoes afterwards :)

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
You'd have to pretty desparate to them,always get them jumping around me when im off beach camping can honestly say its never crossed my mind,that they would make a nice edible delight! on the contary,they look minging!

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Not for me eather... Some of the beaches we fish literally 'crawl' with them. As said, leave your bait on the tacklebox and its heaving by the time you notice.

I would imagine they are a dry land prawn/shrimp, or from the same family.

al.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE