Sales prices

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

juliojordio1983

Forager
Oct 15, 2015
Blackpool
Good afternoon!

I just thought I would put this out there....

Say you bought a brand new Bushcraft item that cost £100. It could be a knife, a sleeping bag, anything. Say you decide to sell it. What price would you put on it? Item would be in "as new" condition, but still secondhand.

I have always been told that you would be looking around 65% of the RRP as a starting point. If no sale and you need to sell, reduce further.

The reason I ask is, I seem to seeing a fairly new trend where people are knocking maybe £10-20 off the "new" price, but marketing like its the steal of the century!

Now, dont get me wrong, if you own the item, you can list it at whatever you like, you are well within your rights to put it up at more than new price if you so feel inclined.

I would just be interested to see what others think :)

I have been lucky enough to pick up some absolute steals on forums, but when it comes to selling, I usually chip a little more off what I paid, as Ive used it, making the item even more of a bargain. I quite enjoy this, as it allows other like minded people to pick up a bargain too (I'm not here to make money!) andI see this as good karma really.

Im not starting a flame war, and i am not just aiming this at BCUK, I'm seeing it on all forums i visit recently.

Regards

Jordan

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
The rule of thumb is "whatever the market will bear." List it for whatever you like but the question is; what will somebody actually pay for it? Will they buy it for $10 less than the new price? I probably wouldn't (if the factory new item also came with reduced postage and/or a guarantee and the "used" one didn't)

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
I know what you mean. Quite often I see things selling on ebay for near or sometime more than retail price. I always figure that most places have 20% sales at some point and sometimes even more than that. Plus you get some kind of warranty with shop bought products even if it is just trading standards. but people seem to pay the asking prices so they must think what they're buying is worth it.

juliojordio1983

Forager
Oct 15, 2015
Blackpool
I don't think the threads I've seen are about anyone trying to make any mark up, usually it's something they've bought and just not used, or only fondled, any they would like their money back rather than it sitting unused.

As an example, I bought a brand new Daystate Air Wolf a few years ago. A few months later I fancied a Theoben Rapid. So I went to my local air gun shop (who are incredibly well respected) and asked to trade it in. It had shot maybe a tin of pellets and it didn't have a mark on it. I could have boxed it up as new it was that mint. They offered me exactly 65% of what I paid a few months earlier. The Daystate was just shy of £1300 at the time, so it was a big loss. If I had sold it on a forum I wouldn't have gotten much more.

Same thing with cars, put delivery miles on it and you lose a fortune.

Jordan

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
I went to view a car at a garage recently and the salesman offered me £3.8k for my current car in part ex. I said I'd lose too much money doing that and he countered by saying that it was only worth £4.5k on the forecourt and he had to make a profit. I pointed to a car that was almost exactly the same as mine that he was selling for £6.5k and he told me "selling isn't the same as sold". Nice try mate... :rolleyes:

hughlle1

Nomad
Nov 4, 2015
London
As has been said, the sale price is what someone is willing to pay. Every item is different, some depreciate a lot once not brand new, others will even appreciate given certain conditions. My way of thinking is that people are free to sell for loss, or even profit, if they bought it from an external private source. But the instant someone buys so!etching off a forum for "mates rates" and then tries to sell it for a profit, well I'll raise hell and that person will never be considered if I'm buying or selling something and will most likely end up on an ignore list.

Simple answer though is sell private. P/X or selling to a dealer will almost always result in a significantly lower price. Unless we're talking the SD43 and then dealers will happily pay you thousands over rrp.

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
But the instant someone buys so!etching off a forum for "mates rates" and then tries to sell it for a profit, well I'll raise hell and that person will never be considered if I'm buying or selling something and will most likely end up on an ignore list.

You're entitled to your opinion but surely the process of buying and reselling for profit is in essence what every business does. I don't see how it being an individual opposed to a trading company makes much difference, and I don't know why you'd grudge someone trying to turn a profit (as long as they are not breaking the law, manipulating the truth or otherwise deceiving buyers)

Price is dictated by market demand. If I see something I like for sale at the right price I'll buy it, if I think it's too much I might contact the seller with an offer, if I am turned down or no offer is available I walk away.

hughlle1

Nomad
Nov 4, 2015
London
As in me buying g a knife from the sales corner and then reselling in the sales corner a week later with a higher price. I don't like people who act like that, especially when they're a dealer who grabs everything in sales corner for a good price and sticks it straight on eBay. It happens a lot. Dealers love forums.

I would begrudge someone who does that because I want to list items on forums at a good price so that a member can benefit from that. If people are just going to buy to profit then I would just sell at the maximum price I could get and the forum would lose out on some bargains. Forum spirit and all that lot. Basically what Julio states attheemd of his post.

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
Just the other day i seen someone listing a shed load of SAK knives, was very interested but thought i'd check elsewhere online for blade details etc and only found 2 of the knives for sale brand new direct from Victorinox for less than the seller was selling them second hand inc p+p, was gonna message the seller and just couldn't be bothered with the risk of it turning confrontational, shooting the messenger and all that

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
So many different factors involved, supply, demand, rarity, finances, condition, perceived value, actual value, etc; etc:

I always try to be fair on prices and I don't take offence at 'reasonable' offers. Outdoor gear I quite often list on here first, if it doesn't sell then off to eBay it eventually goes. The surprising thing is that most of the time I've sold stuff on there I've ended up getting more for it than what I'd listed it for on here :) Bigger audience I suppose.

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
Just the other day i seen someone listing a shed load of SAK knives, was very interested but thought i'd check elsewhere online for blade details etc and only found 2 of the knives for sale brand new direct from Victorinox for less than the seller was selling them second hand inc p+p,

Thats been known to happen on Ebay - there was a story years back of someone selling Dell laptops on Ebay for more than Dell themselves were flogging them for. The idea that someone on the net is automatically giving you a good deal isn't always true, and that goes for Amazon as well - I work part-time selling TV's, etc, and checking Amazon, I'm surprised that prices are often higher, and with a less generous warrenty, etc. In one case, Sony were selling a 2 year old HD TV for more than we'd sold for at the time, and which was only £100 less than buying a brand new 4K model from Sony. And don't get me started on Pricerunner...

Ultimately, the price is what someone is willing or able to pay - and that works both ways.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Business speaking, you've got to scratchtheir back if you want yours scratched.

If the market value of a 2nd hand iten used a fair bit is around 50 % if your selling it to a trader he's got to make profit on it, so depending on the value between 25 and 40 % so it's worth his time (expenses + profit)

A like new item depending on its value between 66 and 75% so selling it to a trader be looking for 50%+

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE