Safe food use timbers/pole lathe turning

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
george said:
I've got an ongoing project where i'm gradually producing a six piece soup bowl and spoon set by carving rather than turning. George
Any chance of some pics?
I am a pre-novice carver and need encouragement and inspiration and in any case reckon that everyone would like a preview.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
What about Holly? A friend has asked because we've just heavily pruned a holly tree and she would like a white wood cup. One of the Galgael polelathe turners made me a holly spindlewhorl last year and it split before I got it home, I've had it soaking in a bucket of water on and off since but the crack refuses to settle. Is the cup really feasible?
I'm having no joy making glue from the bark, what am I doing wrong?? Really good yellow green dye on wool though :)

Toddy

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Not sure about holly. I have a ladle that I'm working on but it's more of a decorative piece than practical. It doesn't smell very nice.

george

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
N.W. Highlands (or in the shed!)
beachlover said:
Any chance of some pics?
I am a pre-novice carver and need encouragement and inspiration and in any case reckon that everyone would like a preview.

Hi Beachlover

Sorry - no digicam at the moment - but seeing as the wife wants one for her birthday, I might get my hands on one soon.

george

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
Not to be pedantic, but to be safe give the taxonic name for any wood mentioned. There are countless distinct plants that share full or partial common names. As an aside, my grandmother had a piece of irish jewelry carved from 'bog oak' Theres big money recovering logs that sank over a century ago during river transport and even old log cabin beams are being turned into fashionable furniture. Don't overlook oddball resources.

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
bambodoggy said:
Holly....poisonous to eat (why would you eat wood?) but I don't know if it's bad enough to stop you using it to make utencils with....

Oh, the leaves and stuff are poisonous too....

I don't know about the wood being poisonous, but I doubt very much that you could get a big enough dose to even get belly ache from using a holly spoon and bowl.

I frequently chew holly bark, for its stimulatingly bitter flavour.

In Yorkshire, stands of holly trees (hollins) were traditionally kept to provide winter fodder for sheep.

The Scots, apparently, did this too.

http://www.woodland-trust.org.uk/ancient-tree-forum/atfresources/images/guide54pp.pdf

Keith.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Thank you for the link...didn't know what to do with the holly for glue but having boiled it up and used the liquor for dye the strained bark is busy fermenting....we'll see what we get :)
Toddy

brucemacdonald

Forager
Jul 5, 2004
right here
I've just made a spoon from holly cut down in my garden last year. I didn't think to check that it was poisonous but I'm not worried about it. It was lovely wood to work with, though.

Chip Dale

Jan 10, 2005
NORFOLK
As far as i am aware, it is safe to use holly wood. As already mentioned the berries are poisonous containing high concentrations of ursolic and ilexic acid. Although this is also contained in the wood, it is in smaller quantities.

The wood has a number of medicinal properties, namely treatment for common cold, influenza, brochitis rheumatism and arthritis.

Research matter: Edible & Medicinal Plants, by Edmund Launert, Published by Hamlyn guides, ISBN 0-600-56395-2.
This book contains many woods, their toxicity and uses.

Hope this helps

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The wood has a number of medicinal properties, namely treatment for common cold, influenza, brochitis rheumatism and arthritis.

Research matter: Edible & Medicinal Plants, by Edmund Launert, Published by Hamlyn guides, ISBN 0-600-56395-2.
This book contains many woods, their toxicity and uses.

Hope this helps[/QUOTE]

It does, thank you :)

Toddy

Paleoaleo

Dec 16, 2004
California, USA
I would love to see photos of the pole lathe! I tried making a bow lathe not long ago, but had some problems that I need to work out. I've since purchased a small electric lathe, and have become spoiled in the process!

Tom

Feb 17, 2005
london
sycamore is the 'treen', (correct spelling?) wood of choice. It carves well,
grows like a weed, infact some consider it such! and has no taste. Supposedly it does not stain either but the spoons I made were never the same again
after curry night. Bright yellow is such an unattractive colour for wood!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Paleoaleo said:
I would love to see photos of the pole lathe! I tried making a bow lathe not long ago, but had some problems that I need to work out. I've since purchased a small electric lathe, and have become spoiled in the process!

Tom

I'm struggling to work my way through the photos...three different digital cameras and all saved in differing formats, and the Galgael offices are being moved & renovated. I'll post some when I can fnd them..sorry :cry:
Meanwhile, there's good bodgers site on
http://www.bodgers.org.uk/index.html

One of our pole lather turners went to the big meeting, called the Bodger's Ball and came home declaring he had a new collective term for a gathering of assorted pole lathes. Pat called it an 'amazement' :lol:

cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE