SA Trangia Question

Robbo

Nomad
Aug 22, 2005
Darkest Scotland,
Got my first trangia stove today, its the Swedish Army version, I love the way it packs down into to a nice neat package.

Its all in excellent, almost unused condition, but once I'd cleaned up the burner and, dare I say it, given it a bit of a polish up I did notice that the burner lid has a small crack going from top to bottom on the side wall, its not split open yet and If I'm carefull it shouldnt be a problem. I was wondering if spare lids are available for the military version, I've seen replacement lids for the civvie versions for about £2.50, but i dont think they will fit as the screw threads seem different on the SA stove.

The stove only cost me £8

Andy

oops56

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 14, 2005
proctor vt.
yep i got the same thing here i got just two burners just to play with mine got 2 or three hire cracks. Two things if you dont plan on keeping your fuel in it for when you need it no harm . just make a test see if it leaks put some in it i mean extra put cap on turn up side down no leak ok if it leaks still ok it still will burn ok

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
Congrats on your Trangia! They're an absolutely fantastic stove that will work in any weather, no matter what season you're in the outdoors. They're also dead set reliable. :)

Adam

Nemisis

Settler
Nov 20, 2005
Staffordshire
If the lid Does leak like oops says it doesn't effect the burner as such but it will mean you watching how much fuel it takes to boil water cook things etc to avoid wasting it as you won't have the option to extingish and pack with meths still inside. Was it from a local shop? I too brought a second burner the steel tatonka one mainly because with the SA I can lift the lot onto the second burner save waiting for the trangia one to cool if i've not finished cooking,also the tatonka came with a simmer ring.
Dave.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
A standard Trangia burner will work OK, but they are a little "shorter" They work well in any weather, but remember to insulate the burner from very cold ground, use some folded paper or twigs, the cold from the ground hinders good burner performance as it slows down the meths getting warm.

Argos sell a Trangia clone made by Gelert. Its a clone of the larger Trangia 25 and includes a kettle, costs £24.99, good bit of kit, great for two people. I have one and use a cheap Camping Gaz Tristar (£7 off eBay) as a gas burner in the kit during warmer weather, a lot cheaper than the "real thing" Trangia gas conversion stove(as we all know, liquid gas is crap in cold weather).

You can make a simmer ring from a cut down bean tin lid, so long as it covers about half the burner it will work fine. Good luck with your stove, they are really good :)

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
Got my first trangia stove today, its the Swedish Army version, I love the way it packs down into to a nice neat package.

Its all in excellent, almost unused condition, but once I'd cleaned up the burner and, dare I say it, given it a bit of a polish up I did notice that the burner lid has a small crack going from top to bottom on the side wall, its not split open yet and If I'm carefull it shouldnt be a problem. I was wondering if spare lids are available for the military version,

Got one myself this weekend from one of the stands at Wilderness Gathering - unissued, but noticed when I got home that there are six splits in the burner lid, one each side of the three bayonet fittings. Not sure yet if this is going to be a problem. Lid still seems quite a tight fit down onto the seal, but I'm a bit concerned that it may leak fuel if it gets onto its side in a rucksack.

Geoff

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Just a word of caution, if you don't get a new lid, be careful not to get any uncombusted fuel in the pots. It requires very little denaturated meth, even in diluted form, to wreak absolute havoc on your digestive system. I experienced that once, my stomach turned itself inside out in an most unpleasant matter, got really dehydrated. Not a nice one. Keep the burner in a plastic bag or similar.

scottishwolf

Settler
Oct 22, 2006
Ayr
Lidl are selling a complete trangia clone an thurs 13th for £8.99, i got one last year and am well impressed. The burner aint bad at all. Failing that i have a spare burner for the swedish army trangia burner that you can have for nowt but the postage :)

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
Lidl are selling a complete trangia clone an thurs 13th for £8.99, i got one last year and am well impressed. The burner aint bad at all. Failing that i have a spare burner for the swedish army trangia burner that you can have for nowt but the postage :)

That's very kind of you - PM sent. :You_Rock_

Geoff

torc

Settler
Nov 23, 2005
left coast, ireland
On a whim I bought my second SA trangia last week . It's unissued but it also has the same problem with cracks in the lid and leaks profusely . My original one, which I sourced in the UK and have been using for about a year now, displays no sign of this problem.
Happy trail...torc.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
I have a cracked burner lid on one of my three military trangias. The two that are ok are made by Trangia, the cracked lid one is made by Svea. The trangia-made burners seem slighltly better finished.

Is there a link between manufacturer and lid cracks? Could be just chance?

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
Been having a good play with my new SA Trangia over the weekend, but one question regarding its capabilities. I'm finding that I can't get a good rolling boil unless I use a lid - if I leave the lid off, then the water just bubbles a bit but never seems to really boil. (I'm used to hexamine cooking, which seems to be able to maintain a good boil even on an open mess tin.) Is this just the way they are?

The burner seems to be operating correctly; as I've seen in other threads, it can take up to 10 minutes for it to 'go gaseous', at which time all the holes around the ring of the burner are jetting flame nicely - so I think the burner is operating correctly. The meths that I'm using is fairly old - I'd be surprised if meths 'goes off' over time (but I may be corrected on this).

Thanks

Geoff

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Is it totally full when lidless and wont boil ?

Mine certainly boils when lidless and about halffull.

Problem with mine this weekend was when used on an open fire, the lid was tricky to get off. Although boiling water in the lid was very quick. :)

Nick

1350479744_2d7feb332e_m.jpg

1349543375_bb41017a5a_m.jpg

1349543367_8187da1b8d_m.jpg

BushTucker

Settler
Feb 3, 2007
Weymouth
Um, interesting chat, I have a stove, years old, but works great if only it was lighter, not sure what it is but looks similar to above.
Only markings are 3 crowns and 5116cr inside the lid.

The burner has 3 crowns with NC 65 and svea stamped below it.

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
Failing that i have a spare burner for the swedish army trangia burner that you can have for nowt but the postage :)

Many thanks for the burner, which arrived yesterday. I see that the one that you (scottishwolf) sent me appears to be a genuine Trangia, while the one I had originally (which had developed splits in the burner lid) is made by SVEA. This tallies with a few reports I've seen here and elsewhere that the SVEA models aren't as robust. Certainly, when I compare them side by side, the genuine Trangia feels a bit more solid.

Geoff

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE