rust protection

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
i'm back in the tropics since a few month, and it's wet season now- means(beside everything gettin' green again): the humidity has rapidly increased and the annual race against rust and mould is in full go.

most of my knives and other tools are easily protected with a few drops of oil or a bit of grease, except my little hunting/skinning/food preparation knive(BUCK diamond ?). no matter how much oil i'm usin' it always develops rusty spots. so far the rust has'nt eatin' in the metal and can be easily wiped of, but it annoys me.

does anyone know if there's some kind of permanent coating (teflon or other) which can be applied to and already-handled knive???

thanks!

SkogKniv

Dec 7, 2008
Way upstate NY
Good car wax works wonders. Though I would not use it on a blade I am prepping food with haha. Try bees wax. Safe and works great.

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
There's not really any 100% way to stop rust, in my experience. You could get gun-kote, but from what I'm reading right now (http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=1150) you need to bake it at 300° to get it to cure - if they're talking celsius, that's way too hot for a knife to keep its temper, and if it's fahrenheit it's about 1° lower than the maximum heat - which is a bit too close for comfort IMO.

I did see this though, which is the same idea really, but you can cure it for a longer time at a lower temp - 180°F or about 80°C. I think that should be safe from losing the temper though you shoud check with someone who knows more first...

A vinegar patina will help to an extent, though how much, I can't say. I'm running an experiment with boiled vinegar right now (water boils at 100°C and acetic acid at 118°C IIRC so it should produce a better patina or a patina faster) which might provide better results - I'll post a picture of the results here.

I don't think you'll ever get a great rust-free finish from oil, grease or wax except for storage - but I might be wrong!

Atb
Pete

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
Probably sounds a bit far fetched but in the past I have used branston pickle.
The acid in it seems to put a very good patina onto 01 steel,it takes a day or so of putting it on then washing it off.The acid seems to lose its potency after being on the knife for about half an hour and needs to be re-applied.

Native Justice

Forager
Apr 8, 2008
Littleton, CO USA
Try Tuff Cloth Marine and or Tuff Glide. Absolutely spectacular stuff. Mineral Spirits based so evaporates after application, the product cures and binds to the blade dry and lasts a very long time.

Be safe.

NJ

Maybe think about trying stainless tools rather than carbon ?

according to the totally incompetent clown of a shop assitant the blade should be "stainless steel", but that's obviously not the case... . a look at the website of BUCK KNIVES was no help either :(

as the blade is already handled heating is sadly no option(rubber melts) but the idea with the gun protection seems to be worth trying

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
according to the totally incompetent clown of a shop assitant the blade should be "stainless steel", but that's obviously not the case... . a look at the website of BUCK KNIVES was no help either :(

as the blade is already handled heating is sadly no option(rubber melts) but the idea with the gun protection seems to be worth trying

Maybe you have an imitation or fake Buck? Off the top of my head, I can't think of any knife Buck ever made that wasn't stainless. And they often use a cheaper grade of stainless that is high in chromium. 420HC is their usual steel. 13% chromium. It should be one of the last in the pile to rust.

it says "BUCK" on the blade and the sheath, too. and also on the package it came in.i bought the knive 2007 in new zealand and in another branch of the same company(they have stores nationwide) i asked a more competent shopassistant as well about the knife. he did'nt know the type of steel either, but i'm sure the knife is no fake.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE