Russian Army Trench Shovel

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Aristotle

Forager
Jan 13, 2010
NW England
Having seen these shovels pop up in various articles and videos, I bought one. It is a well-used Russian army example, rather than a new Cold Steel one.

The handle was removed, coated with raw linseed oil (along with the head) a couple of times and left it a week to cure. The handle was re-fitted, shimmed a little to get a tight fit and using new, longer, wood screws.

The edge was tidied up with a flap wheel and file.

It may come in useful!

53944732581_cf4ddcf31b_k.jpg

matarius777

Nomad
Aug 29, 2019
Lancaster
Having seen these shovels pop up in various articles and videos, I bought one. It is a well-used Russian army example, rather than a new Cold Steel one.

The handle was removed, coated with raw linseed oil (along with the head) a couple of times and left it a week to cure. The handle was re-fitted, shimmed a little to get a tight fit and using new, longer, wood screws.

The edge was tidied up with a flap wheel and file.

It may come in useful!

53944732581_cf4ddcf31b_k.jpg
They are a great little shovel, so sturdy. I use mine in the garden. I did file an edge on one side, but regret it a bit now, as it’s not really up to much. I might try to get a new one. I do like how yours looks without the black paint on, I thought you’d charred the handle to get it dark like that, but on reading, it sounds like it’s just from hard use? I got mine brand new from a Russian site, a few years ago when you could still buy from Russia. I also got a pair of the most crappily made Russian army Jack boots imaginable. They are atrocious!:(

Aristotle

Forager
Jan 13, 2010
NW England
Yes, the handle is just well used. I have not given it any artificial weathering. I did give it a bit of a clean before coating it with linseed oil. It was a bit loose and would rotate a little, so I shimmed it with pieces of aluminium from a beer can.

I considered painting the metalwork, but then decided just to give it a light rub-down and coating with linseed oil.

Reactions: matarius777

matarius777

Nomad
Aug 29, 2019
Lancaster
Yes, the handle is just well used. I have not given it any artificial weathering. I did give it a bit of a clean before coating it with linseed oil. It was a bit loose and would rotate a little, so I shimmed it with pieces of aluminium from a beer can.

I considered painting the metalwork, but then decided just to give it a light rub-down and coating with linseed oil.
I think it looks really good, as if it was actually there at the siege of Stalingrad. I might give mine a similar treatment when I get a chance.

Reactions: Aristotle

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE