Rush 24

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
Is it just me or is this pack really uncomfortable?
Great pack to organise everything, pockets and compartments galore which is why I bought it...

however carrying a 2ltr water bladder and about 3 kilos in bits and bobs, like tarp, fsk, FAK , and spare clothes... Really uncomfortable on the back, I'm used to get all of that on my karrimor SF sabre 35 and that is super comfortable

Am I doing something wrong? Are these packs more suited to the wider folk?

I'm going to try and have the shoulder straps looser so it hangs lower but it seems counter intuitive in terms of centre balance...

(I usually have it tight and close fitting to my back , but maybe that's why its uncomfortable...)

If that doesn't work I might put it up for sale on here...
😠

But any advice on the various settings and comments on this pack would be much appreciated...
Thanks in advance

Last edited:

IC_Rafe

Forager
Feb 15, 2016
EU
They are designed for those looking for "tactical" things, not for actual use ;). Any pack without a hip belt (an actual one, not a strap of webbing), will be uncomfortable if you put some weight in it imo, since you carry all the weight high on your shoulders, instead of transferring the weight to your hips.

Best stick to some decent hiking backpacks, or if you really want something "tactical" and looking like it belongs in the military, go for actual current military gear or equivalent which is used in militaries (like KarrimorSF, anything except the Predator :p)

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
I'm quite broad in the chest and shoulders and find most rucksack straps uncomfortable and over padded.
I recently moved over to Hill People Gear products and find there system great. They work on a broad flat yoke type harness which helps spread the load. On the larger packs add a hip belt and they are brilliant.

Many of the tactical packs are worn over body armour and belt order so fit the body differently.

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
Hmmm that explains a lot .
Thank you all for your comments.
Wearing armour probably would improve the comfort , but I'm not going to do that...

I don't care much for the tactical look or for any particular look at all , just as long as the colours blend with the environment.
The main reason for me buying this , was the zip all around (easy access to all your kit) and for all the separate compartments , allowing for tidy set up...
rather than getting all your kit out to get to whatever is seating at the bottom.
I'll try loosen straps and less weight but if that doesn't work ,it's gone.

IC_Rafe

Forager
Feb 15, 2016
EU
Remember that the problem for a clamshell, is that in moderate/heavy rain (which you should have about 2/3 of the time there :p), the inside just gets wet unless you use a drybag, and then the clamshell is useless too. It isn't made to wear over armor either, 5.11 gear is really just targeted at those who want the tacticool look. Bad gear (useage wise, don't know about construction) for people who don't use it.

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
Remember that the problem for a clamshell, is that in moderate/heavy rain (which you should have about 2/3 of the time there :p), the inside just gets wet unless you use a drybag, and then the clamshell is useless too. It isn't made to wear over armor either, 5.11 gear is really just targeted at those who want the tacticool look. Bad gear (useage wise, don't know about construction) for people who don't use it.

I do have a rain cover that came with it, but you raised a good point about clamshell bags.
Besides that , when you have a zip all around , then the bag is only as good as the zip....

"Bad gear" is perhaps a little unfair, as some people really like it and the quality of materials and construction is flawless.

Construction wise , it's bomb-proof.
Strong material all round, double stitched everywhere, reinforced seams, tough chunky zips (self repair) , the straps padding and shape are seemingly perfect .

I think it must be my body shape,
I'm lanky , slim but with (perhaps abnormally) wide shoulders must be the only shape that this bag doesn't fit well ...

Will try less weight and different positions to try find comfort as I really like this bag.

Oct 30, 2012
Eseex
I loved the storage but found it really uncomfortable and ended up selling mine. I'm a big guy, and the straps just didn't seem long enough.

Herbalist1

Settler
Jun 24, 2011
North Yorks
I get on well with my Rush24. I'm quite large but certainly not slim so perhaps it suits my body shape better. Yes you don't want to be carrying loads of weight in a bag without a hip belt but saying that, I've carried a fair bit of weight in mine and find the design of the shoulder strap spreads the weight well. A hip belt wouldn't work on this bag (at least not for me) as the bag isn't long enough for a belt to sit on my hips. The larger Rush72 does have a hip belt.

i didn't buy mine because 'it looks tactical'. To be honest I'm not that bothered about looks. I bough this bag on the basis of reviews and videos I'd seen. I like the ability to separate kit using the various internal pockets. Stuff I need to keep dry goes into dry bags which lots of people do with top loading rucksacs anyway. So you don't need to use a single internal liner and can still benefit from the advantages of the clam shell design even in a wet climate.
I use both clam shells and top loaders and I tend to use them for different tasks. The Rush24 has served me well and I'll keep using it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE