Rucksac

I have been thinking of getting a new rucksac as the one I currently have is a bit awkward. I don't know quite what type it is in the range. It is a berghaus, 60 - 70 litre rucksac with no sidepouches, just two pouches on the hood (1 internal the other external) and it is a pain when looking for stuff. Also my Brit Army sleeping bag takes up most of the room at the bottom.

Can anyone recommend some that might be worth looking at? Usually I do 1 - 3 nights with the current one, so should I be looking at a similar size?

My other rucksac is also berghaus I think, but it is a 40litre day pack. I haven't yet tried fitting the sleeping bag in there, although I would imagine it would fill it all up.

Also has anyone else had any experience of fitting a brit army down sleeping bag in their rucksac and still having plenty of room?

Thanks,
Andy

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
It should all fit in, Try a compression sack for your sleeping bag. and to help organise buy some different size dry bags (exped do some good ones ) they are colour coded by size so will make organising your sack easier.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
;) get a Smaller sleeping bag!

Berghaus are a good make and it sounds like you have the predecessor of the army PLCE bergen.a Berghaus Crusader or Vulcan?

It's a good bag and many prefer them to PLCE.

Just take note of what you carry and why then cut down on items from that list.

Ok, just checked my bag last night. It is an Extreme Alpine. Not sure if that is any help as I can't seem to find it on google.

I have thought about a smaller sleeping bag, like a Skyehigh from Alpkit, but I quite like my army one, its done well in keeping me warm. :) Although it is heavy (2.5kg on the kitchen scales) and bulky. I haven't thought about compression straps/sac yet, where would I likely get them? I havent tried fitting it into the smaller rucksac yet.

As for cutting down on the other things, I think I did pretty well on the last trip compared to the one before it. Didnt bother with many spare clothes etc

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
Pandabean you will get a good quality compression bag for most outdoor retailers. it will greatly reduce the packed bulk of your bag, just remember to only have it compressed whilst it needs to be certainly dont put it away for any length of time compressed. It should then fit your berghaus sack with no worries. If you still have issues with small bits of kit going missing invest in some exped or their like dry bags lots of different sizez and they can also be used for carrying water in form a stream or tarn back to camp, or stuffing with clothes for a pillow etc. Also strangely enough the keep things dry!!

Hope this helps

Andy

Jaysurfer

Settler
Dec 18, 2008
Somerset, UK
I have a berghaus C7 2 Series 70+10 with the bioflex back system. Works a treat - i can fit loads into it.

I also have the Berghaus Freeflow IV 40+10 as a daysack and that works great too and can fit my 1 man tent/ tarp and hammock in it for summer trips but if i am doing more than one night or need a sleeping bag i'd take my bigger bag

J

Trojan

Silver Trader
Mar 20, 2009
The Countryside
Hi

Firslty im new here and want to say what a great and helpful website/forum this is.

As for the rucksack, so many to choose from but i prefer Snugpak or Bugout Gear both of which i/you can easily get from ebay.

As to the sleeping bag- there are so many now that a small one, again from any discount outdoor shop or ebay, would be easy to pick up!

Good luck

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE