Rough Rider why is it only £19

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
They are twice the price of most Rough Riders.:) TBH they are reasonably well made and make an acceptable edc. They are made in PRC to a high standard with 440 series steel. The only criticism I had was a weakish spring on the bade of a peanut. It worked fine but I prefered more 'snap'

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
i dare not answer this fully because in this day and age my answer wont be politically correct and next i'll get called racist or some such nonsense....maybe becase of countrys of origin....

bushwacker bob

Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
Because it has samba stag scales which are quite expensive, it is made in the EU which means the guys who made it were reasonably paid. In comparison with the RoughRider version it is slightly heavier due to the thicker scales and slightly thicker blade and springs, a couple of mm wider and worth maybe twice as much, not 5 times as much.IMO

Last edited:

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
yup as far as i know the average weekly wage where the rr comes from is about a quid.

as mountain said m8...cant go wrong with those brands....most people i've known start off with a mora....i only own one folder, a swiss army knife

a

multi

Banned
Jul 16, 2012
dorset
Well I need a primary folder, im willing to pay up to £200. I love blades with white and brass handles, if you know of any.

Ill need a secondary folder sometime too, which will be cheap as chips but good quality as possible.

Was looking thrpugh heinnie and waswondering why the prices are so difference, I dont really wNt to pay for name

bushwacker bob

Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
Up to £200 is a decent budget, for that you could have a custom folder to your own spec, like this
seans023.jpg

or an Enzo for half of that
8089.jpg

and plenty of change.

multi

Banned
Jul 16, 2012
dorset
Up to £200 is a decent budget, for that you could have a custom folder to your own spec, like this
or an Enzo for half of that
8089.jpg

and plenty of change.

I like that enzo one. Im looking for a handle with whiute andor brass or bronze in it somewhere, maybe with a modern artistic style too it too

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Am I the only one who thinks the enzo looks horrible? you could probably file your nails with the grind marks on that blade!

bushwacker bob

Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
Am I the only one who thinks the enzo looks horrible? you could probably file your nails with the grind marks on that blade!
Yes.

The grind marks are 400g satin finish which is common on a lot of knives and the picture makes them look worse than they are. Mine has polished bevels from stroping. Enzo also produce a handleless version with a drilling template should you wish to produce your own scales.

If you dont like how it looks, get a Svord Peasant knife, they fell out of the ugly tree and into a house fire before being assembled.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I happen to think the svord knives are quite handsome ;) mine is anyway!

DSCF1355.jpg

I haven't seen one of those enzo knives in person, but the picture makes it look nasty and 'unfinished'?..

I prefer a polished blade, not because I keep them all shiny and in a drawer but because they clean and patina easier!

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Well I need a primary folder, im willing to pay up to £200. I love blades with white and brass handles, if you know of any.

Ill need a secondary folder sometime too, which will be cheap as chips but good quality as possible.

Take your time. Don't spend a lot to start with. You can get a very acceptable and capable folder for twenty to fifty quid. One of my favourites is the EKA Super Swede:

http://www.saddler.co.uk/shop.html?cr=1214&pr=1144&pdesc=normark_super_swede_lock_knife_ss

It was about 25 quid when I got it but that was a while ago. They aren't made any more but the Swede 8 and Swede 10 are similar.

http://www.heinnie.com/product.asp?P_ID=6031
http://www.heinnie.com/EKA-Knives/Folding-Knives/EKA-Swede-10-Rubber/p-134-984-5979/

For extended use I prefer not to have metal parts in the handle (so no bolster for example, and the Super Swede has a different locking mechanism which IMO is better from that point of view) because they can be uncomfortable, and in cold weather the metal parts tend to suck the heat out of your fingers. If your fingers are younger than mine it might not be such an issue.

Was looking thrpugh heinnie and waswondering ...

I wonder that too sometimes. :)

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
If you want a top quality folder then look at queen cutlery knives. They are in D2 steel which is very good.
Scroll down the page for the ones i'm referring to.
http://www.moonrakerknives.co.uk/queen.htm

The others you mentioned are too unspecific on steel info for my liking. 440 stainless has 3 grades A, B and C, i'd only ever use C out of those. But the knife could easily be A or B. The other just says stainless steel. Well my sink and draining board are stainless steel too, but i wouldnt make a knife from those.

White and brass? Good colour choice. :) When do you need it for? Are you in any rush?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE