Rough Rider Elephant's Toenail - User review

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Howdy folks!

Figured I'd show this knife in use, seeing as I've already reviewed its out of the box state.

Well, she's looking a bit prettier now I've taken the time to photograph properly, tripod and all and no nasty flash.

nailrev.jpg

Done a sheath too...
nailsheath.jpg

nailrev2.jpg

The gear I'll be using; one of the barry trotter books (HATE them) the Toenail, a resin panel beaters mallet and a cheap and nasty strop that ended up not being used during the review. Knive starts out razor sharp with a convex secondary.

nailrev3.jpg

Feathers from the big blade. I'm rubbish at feathersticks unfortunately but I reckon this one's alright :D

nailrev4.jpg

Feathers from the little blade. Nicer still :D This little blade just glides through the wood, it's like making butter shavings.

nailrev5.jpg

Just to show the size of shavings that the big blade can take off when needs be ;) Hacksaw blade in there by accident, but let's say it's for scale.

nailrev6.jpg

Slicing through barry trotter, 'cause I hate it just that much. It did scate off to the side as my knuckles hit the floor and I couldn't keep cutting straight; it did keep cutting, though.

nailrev7.jpg

Still mighty sharp!

nailrev8.jpg

This one was a bit scary. Never battoned a folder before! It got this far without any problems, but trying to go a bit farther and the knife started folded so I figured better safe than sorry, and stopped here. Easily a big enough opening to get a wedge started though, so as good as any folder needs to be.

nailrev9.jpg

And still sharp!

This is a bloody great knife, I love it! It's as tough as it needs to be, but certainly doesn't shy away from the finer works. I look forward to trying this out carving a woodspirit or two! And getting the rest of the RR collection :D

Pete

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Cool beans Pete! I have a couple elephant's toenails but never carried them. Might have to give it a try. Looks like you are having a lot of fun with yours. :beerchug: Cool little sheath!

elephants_toenails1b.jpg

The top one is a RR and the bottom one is a Winchester but it was probably made in the same factory. :) I think I paid mayb $8 for the top one and not much more for the Winchester.

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Cool beans Pete! I have a couple elephant's toenails but never carried them. Might have to give it a try. Looks like you are having a lot of fun with yours. :beerchug: Cool little sheath!

The top one is a RR and the bottom one is a Winchester but it was probably made in the same factory. :) I think I paid mayb $8 for the top one and not much more for the Winchester.

Very nice lookin knives mate :D

They are really fun knives, I love it when a knife keeps surprising you with what it can do! Haven't been this impressed with a knife in a while :)

I didn't know that RR had any different patterns of Toenail either, got pics of it open too? :)

Pete

Tye Possum

Nomad
Feb 7, 2009
Canada
Cool review, seems like a pretty sturdy knife, cool pouch too.

You're getting more use outta that guitar than I ever got out of mine, that's kind of sad isn't it...:eek:

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Cool review, seems like a pretty sturdy knife, cool pouch too.

You're getting more use outta that guitar than I ever got out of mine, that's kind of sad isn't it...:eek:
Cheers mate!
:yelrotflm To be honest I wish I'd just been more careful with the modifications I was doing to it, then I'd still be using it as a bass :p I still have a few more guitars, though I don't honestly play them that much nor am I very good :p

Nice review there,

and again, nice sheath!

Drew

Cheers :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE