Rosehips and Hawthorn Berries

I was walking along today and passed someones garden and they had a bush with these berries on it and I was wondering how do you tell the difference between Rosehips and Hawthorn Berries?

Also what uses do they have other than those stated in "Food for Free"? I remember good old Ray on TV the other night and I think he was crushing the berries.

Thanks,
Andy

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
You'll need to learn to recognise the plant the berry's hanging on. Around here the hawthorns are long gone, but there are a few rosehips hanging in there in the sheltered spots..

If it wasn't dark i'd go take a photo of the hawthorn tree at the end of my garden to post up :rolleyes:

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
a rosehip grows on the wild rose, you can make rosehip tea or you can get the seeds and put them down someones back lol, very good itching powder
leon

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Not too keen on rosehips myself, though a friend made a cordial out of them once and that was quite tasty but very sweet with the amount of sugar he put in it ..... I've made hawthorn jelly a couple of times but its an aquired taste I think.

:)
Ed

Aug 27, 2006
Kent
I harvest and use both - Rosehips for tea, preserves and syrup (which is great on plain yogurt)
rosehipyogurtA.jpg

and Hawthorn Haws for hedgerow jam mixes and Haw Jelly (which has vanilla overtones if you do it just right).

If you're interested in recipes to try out, pm me and I'll let you have a copy of the contents of two files I've compiled so far.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE