Roping (attention colonials)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Ok, I admit, it is of limited use, but I would still like to develop my roping skills (lasso style..). Can anybody point towards any good web resources? (Yep I've googled my eyes out, but still found nothing good).

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
No, I haven't gone looking for web sites. Buy you might try doing a search for Rodeo Skills - as roping is part of some of the rodeo competitions.

A good book that might help would be

The Cowboy At Work
by Fay E. Ward
isbn 0-8061-2051-7
originally published in 1958, but the paperback copy I have was published in 1987.

Hope this helps.

Mikey - yee ol' grumpy blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
The auther Fay Ward was one of those old-time cowboys who grew up doing the work - in the early 1900's. So he also knew and rode with the very guys who lived the live of a working cowboy during the 1880's and 1890's.

Per the book: Fay E. Ward was active as a cowboy for forty years from Alberta, Canada, to the Mexico border. Well known as a bronc rider in Frontier Day contests between 1909 and 1922, he was also the author and illustrator of many articles on the cowboy and his work in western publications.

Now, if you want a little book to give you a good glimpse of the cowboy life, including cowboy wisdom and cooking, then you might be interested in this book.

The Cowboy Life: A Saddlebag Guide for Dudes, Tenderfeet, and Cowpunchers Everywhere by Michele Morris isbn 0-671-86682-6 published in 1993.

Lots of great little snippets of cowboy wisdon and life in this book. And you can start and stop anywhere in it. Each section is only a page or two long before going on to the next subject, and it's sprinkled with tidbits of "cowboy wisdom" as little sidebars throughout the book.

A few examples:
Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction.
Only a fool argues witha skunk, a mule, or a cook.
Always drink upstream from the herd.
Never walk when you can ride. And never stand when you can sit.
Horses are only afraid of two things - things that move and things that don't.
When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on.
Nothing helps scenery like steak and eggs.
A bucket of luck when you need it is better than a truckload of talent.
A cowboy always chases a woman until she catches him.

And the meaning of life for an old cowboy? (from an old western song)
Faster Horses
Younger Women
Older Whiskey
More Money

Time to light a shuck out of here ... this waddies gone to perdition (a small red-lanterned house out behind the saloon)

- who's also rode the high trail chasing "slow elk" ... um ... ah ... er ... I mean cattle
- and no, my cinch ring ain't blackened from no fire, the plaiting's jist wearin' thin

p.s. And NEVER squat when wearing spurs!
How do you know he's a Texican? He's got a 6 inch belt buckel and a 2 inch dangle!

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
Yeah, there's a lot of romanticized myth associated with cowboys. And hollyweird doesn't help!

Check out these movies for a much more ... realistic ... portrail of the Old West.

Unforgiven - with Clint Eastwood
Open Range - with Duval - and Costner is starting to learn to act
Conagher - a Louis L'Amour novel - with Sam Elliott
Tom Horn - with Steve McQueen

and a great old west mining/gambling town movie

McCabe and Mrs. Miller with Ryan O'Neil

The Lonesome Dove TV mini-series had good intentions and started well, but hollyweird quickly took over to pander to that romanticized view of cowboys. Much better was/is the hbo series Deadwood. But it ... shocked ... lots of people. Well, real life back then even shocked lost of people back East in the big cities also.

Yeah, the 1870's and 1880's is another time period I "live" in with my living history reenactment hobby.

Here's a couple pics of me and "the boys".

Our little ... bar-b-q for some Texicans ... that's me up front on the right not afraid to hide my face behind a mask - and back when I had more personal "physical assets" (fat) and chin whiskers.

Vigilance.jpg

Here's a couple groupings of pics of us "playing the game". A bit ... hardcore? Mayhap.

Flatwater1.jpg

Flatwater3.jpg

Yeah, nowdays, the people wearing cowboy hats/boots tend to be truckers, bikers, and yuppies. Real working cowboys nowdays more often wear track shoes or workboots, and baseball hats - until they spiff up to head to town.

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
Mike way off topic i know but those pics took me back to a time over here when target shooting wasnt outlawed and a bunch of us formed the British western shooting society
SCAN1copy.jpg

me with my cherished winchester HiWall chambered for 45/90 paper patched Black Powder cartridge
Scan7copy.jpg
Scan6copy.jpg

Scan5copy.jpg
Scan4copy.jpg

Scan2copy.jpg
Scan3copy.jpg

They were fun times

Cheers
Nick

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Mike way off topic i know but those pics took me back to a time over here when target shooting wasnt outlawed and a bunch of us formed the British western shooting society

Target shooting outlawed???

How the h3ll will hunters and deer stalkers train their shooting skills? And why a ban? That sounds really stupid to me. Or have I got this wrong?

pothunter

Settler
Jun 6, 2006
Wyre Forest Worcestershire
Hi Big Swede

Target shooting is not banned however we are very restricted to what type of firearms we are allowed, the restrictions are all due to politicians giving in to pressure groups after criminal use of firearms. Since the introduction of these restrictions recorded figures for armed crime continue to rise, and the estimated number of illegal firearms has increased dramatically.

Rifles for target and stalking are restricted to: muzzle loading, single shot, lever action and bolt action. Those using rifles for target shooting are restricted to solid projectiles where as those for stalking vermin control are allowed expanding ammunition.

Pistols are restricted to muzzle loading for target use, breach loading revolvers are still available for dispatching of injured animals such as those injured by cars however these now fall under the same level of control as automatic weapons.

Shotguns for game and clay shooting are readily available, semi auto's and pumps restricted to 2 rounds in the magazine.

All the above are available after a grant of either a Firearms License or Shotgun Certificate. There are probably more opportunities to hunt in the UK now than ever before.

The greatest problem legitimate shooters have is general public perception as they rarely come into contact with guns or shooters and they believe what they see in films. We also have a very anti firearms police force who have a lot of political clout. Once upon a time government made laws and the the police policed them now the police almost make laws having a huge amount of influence at all levels.

This is a very broad over view and dose not address every issue.

Pothunter.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Thanks for clearing that out pothunter.

<rant>

We have a similar, although not as bad, situation here (we are allowed semiauto pistols and revolvers, and semi-rifles). Somehow the politicians (and there are no differences between parties) have got the idea that criminals use stolen legal weapons or legal weapons that somehow was lost or 'leaked' out from the legal sphere. This often not really the case though. Smuggled weapons that were illegal in the first case is most often the case. I can't really see how the restriction of peoples freedom in this way benefit the greater public. IMHO I think criminals will get firearms no matter what laws are made. Criminals have a nasty habit of breaking the law, now don't they? :rolleyes:

</rant>

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
Well presented Pothunter.

the other invisible restriction the the government managed to engineer is the cost of legal use of target firearms has skyrocketed. The cost of shooting on most big ranges is ridiculous. The pressure that the poloce put on you just to keep firearms is onerous and very repressive. I handed in my FAC when the last renewal was due - I just couldnt be bothered to jump through the hoops anymore. they managed to ruin the ejoyment of a sport i have enjoyed for 30 years.
But am I bitter!!

Nick

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
There's a huge effort to remove all those ... evil guns ... from the hands of anybody not connected with the formal government. Britain keeps being held up as the "shining example" we here in the States MUST follow. And now the UN is pushing the same thing. So that only "approved" people can have guns. Who decides what people are "approved"?

But an unarmed citizen is no longer a citizen, he's a serf/slave.

So our enjoyment of past history must now suffer because of the politicians. And thus another Old West club/organization bites the dust. And along with that is the passing on of all the other skills learned about that time period - such as Roping techniques.

Right now, the best place to look still ends up being with the Rodeo crowd. But the animal rights do-gooders are killing that off also!

Good luck with what you can learn about roping through books. And I hope you can pick up enough knowlege along the way to put into practice. And that practice then becomes the ... hard part. I learned enough with a rope to know I don't want to have to make a living doing it!

p.s. to see some more pics of a cowboy/old west town and group, do a web search for "Marrow Bone Springs". The group is in Texas, and also does some theatre/TV work as The Gunfighters. Their founder ran with our Club for years before he started his own old west town and club down in Texas with a bunch of his Civil War reenactor buddies.

I went to a rodeo down here in NZ the other week. I thought it somehow might not seem very authentic, but it was actually really very good!
The calf roping looked really tricky, with not too many being successful. The ropes seemed to be fairly stiff looking stuff and not too flexible (if that makes sense!), so I suppose it's important to get the right kind of rope or treat it somehow.
I've thought about having a go at Cowboy Action Shooting sometime as it looks like good fun and reminds me of the practical shotgun comps I used to enjoy back home, before I had to part with my lovely Ithaca 37 Featherlight and my Mossberg 500 because of law changes. Ah...those were the days.
J

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE