Rodir meths stoves (British made apparently).

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
It has four legs which are more stable size for size than three legs.

Strictly speaking this is true, but for practical use in the camp environment 3 legs work much better.

Last edited:

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Noone tried one yet?

Unfortunately not my find as its been advertised in TGO magazine for about 4 months now. Even got reviewed in one issue.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Yes, that got me noticing but then I thought that my gas stove needs a windshield, my whitebox stove comes with one, my trangia burner needs one (honey stove usually) and my mini trangia definitely needs one. Also the evernew burner had the DX windshield for it too. So does the triad and triad XE and the decagon one from vargo too. Then remote can gas stoves, can top gas stoves, multi fuel stoves and pretty much any stove needs protection from the wind.

Anyway windshields can be as simple as some foil from disposable baking trays. I bought a pack of 5 for something like £0.50 from ASDA when I got my Honey stove for underneath. When I got home I found out I had picked up more than one pack by mistake so I have loads of stuff for windhields. So I guess any stove needing a windshield is not really a problem when you think about it. At least it will be a hell of a lot lighter than a trangia windshield (what is the lightest trangia? nearly 800g?).

I heard you can get them without the supports or at least take them off to use three Ti pegs instead. I always carry enough for that anyway. In fact with my tarp I could take three pegs out for cooking then put back when cooled.

My only concern is its got a wide diameter set of burner jets. WOuld need a change of pots used. Possibly even my 3 cup AGG pot is too narrow.

Is there anyone out there with one who could let me know how wide the burner jets are and how good its performance is?

What type of meths stove is it? I can't work out if its a chimney stove or not. Any ideas?

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
It comes with a 200mm x 610mm sheet of foil. Does that count as a windshield? To a UK address it costs £27.50 delivered. Perhaps I might get one to try out as that's not much at all. Plus I've looked at their address on google maps and street view and its a home. In my mind its just a little homegrown operation which is most likely pretty good service. Also for that amount of dosh I am not really that concerned. Would like to know what's it like before though. Would have thought some stovie has one especially since it has been advertised in Trail or TGO since March or so.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I like the look of the rodir burner now but it looks like a bit too powerful flame. I mean its up around the sides. Isn't that wasteful? I'm more used to gas so I think its bad as I tend to turn the gas stove down to keep it more onto the base of the pot. This has it up the sides. I'd have thought that the cone windshield stoves (Caldera) would be ok with the flame up the side but not a more open stove and pot like this one. The stand is wide so the closest to the pot that the windshield could get (in that video) would be too far from the pot to keep as much heat from the flames to the pot as the Caldera cone I'd have thought. Perhaps it's better to just get the caldera cone instead.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
How is it made? In your review thread someone posted something about having some cans like he was going to try to make a stove like this. Is it made out of drinks cans or some other type of can? I'm trying to find out if it is durable in the way the white box stove is (made out of alu bottles) or more fragile like can stoves like we have most probably all tried to make? I'm wondering if it is tough enough to just be stuffed in your sack or if it needs to be in a pot or something for protection.

Big_bazza99

Nomad
Nov 8, 2008
North Yorks
How is it made? In your review thread someone posted something about having some cans like he was going to try to make a stove like this. Is it made out of drinks cans or some other type of can? I'm trying to find out if it is durable in the way the white box stove is (made out of alu bottles) or more fragile like can stoves like we have most probably all tried to make? I'm wondering if it is tough enough to just be stuffed in your sack or if it needs to be in a pot or something for protection.

I will dig it out as it is a few months since I used it - I've mainly been using the Antig Outdoors Woodlore Stove and the Bushbuddy Ultra -as I really prefer wood burning. Regards Paul

PS - If it would help I could post it to you so you can check it out first hand....? I'll pay to send it, you just pay to return it.

Last edited:

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Cheers Paul for the offer but I think I have found sufficient reason to buy one myself. I'm a sucker for a meths stove even though I prefer using gas!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE