Rodent signs...

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
On a recent trip I camped a few meters away from a pine tree with an interesting pattern of markings.

beaversign01_sm.jpg

My initial thought was it was some vandal of a human taking something out on a poor tree. But on closer inspection it looked more like it was the result of teeth, not steel.

beaversign02_sm.jpg

Have I found evidence of a beaver? I was only a meter or 3 from a river.

While I was bivvi'd there my tarp was constantly pelted with something, when I had a look I found some seeds on the tarp/ground.

pineseeds01_sm.jpg

Is this the result of a squirrel up in the tree dropping their empties, or is this the tree shedding them?

Thanks

Julia

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Adze,

So it is beaver that's done that?

Haven't got any trail cams, but I do intend to head back to that area with more local knowledge, and a long lens on the camera.

J

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
It looks a lot like beaver. How big is the tree?

No, those aren't squirrels dropping their empties. When a squirrel eats pine nuts it drops the cone (looking something like a corn cob after you've eaten the kernels off it)

DSCF1024-L.jpg

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I'll guess beaver damage. I would have expected to see more tooth marks around the stem rather than up and down. . . whatever.

Squirrels spin a cone like it's on a lathe. Scales going all over as they eat the seeds and toss the core aside.
Nice pix, santaman.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I'll guess beaver damage. I would have expected to see more tooth marks around the stem rather than up and down. . . whatever.......

I was thinking the same thing.

That tree was at a guess around 600mm.

J

This also confuses me. I thought it looked pretty big and apparently it is. Beavers don't usually take down trees bigger than they can drag.

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
If you can watch them, they work mostly cross-grain with teeth that can kill a determined Rottweiler
I'll also guess that standing tree is not as soft as a river-bottom cottonwood (good name) = small chips.

Here, they'll take whatever they can drop. 6"+ logs are chewed into short lengths. I found one fresh, in progress.
With the aid of several cups of coffee, I thoroughly "marked" each started cut. Two days later, the log was gone but for chip piles.

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Yeah, next time I get time in the city of Prince George, I'll try to remember to take some pix of the cottonwoods on the river bank when they were 2X wrapped
with chain-link fence to keep those sonsabitches from mowing down the total horizon.
Junction of the Nechako and the Fraser rivers = check it out with Google Earth.

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
I've never seen anything like that in the UK. It's not ringbarking from a deer or goat and it's not a threshing post.

Julia I think you have a Beaver!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE