Robins

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
We all know (often from experience) how bold they are.

I have heard that on the continent, the Robin is a shy bird of the deep forest.

Is that true?

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Possibly so. Here in my district, robins are a relatively rare bird in the village. The vast majority are what we call "bush robins" from the boreal forest which congregate in impressive migration flocks now into October. I'm sure that behavior is similar to that of your European species.

Tremendous tree fruit crop damage as they peck at an apple here, a pear there. They can suck down a bunch of grapes in a minute. Most years, I get my grapes harvested before the robins come through, last year they got every last damn grape in the vines!

Lean'n'mean

Settler
Nov 18, 2020
France
They are probably more familiar in British gardens because they are concentrated in urban & semi urban locations & so, more used to cohabiting with people.
"On the continent" is rather vague but I have some robins in the garden here in the mid west of rural France & though I rarely see them, they are the first to arrive & perch a meter or so from me, whenever I do any earth digging, which I find is pretty bold. :)
And I assure you, no one eats songbirds in this particular vicinity.

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
I find that Robins (and other members of the Chat family - especially Stonechats) to be friendly toward humans. They are solitary birds amongst their species - that lovely song is really a call to other birds to sod off - but toward humans they can be quite gregarious.
I'm sure we've all experienced the camp Robin, who bobs around waiting for scraps.
I wonder if the reference to them being shy woodland birds is referring to another kind of European Robin that we don't get in the UK?

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
In Sweden they behave much like here, sitting on a bush 1 m away from you when you're in the garden telling you to p*ss off from their territory. They are not at all as common though, so not seen as often.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Talking of Robins, we have a large number this year, from fledglings in late spring to now, far more than previous years. And, yes, there's always one or two following me around when I'm working whether it's in the garden, the scrub or the wood.

But, I have had robins come up quite close to me when camping in France as well. They're not resident in Northern and Eastern Europe; maybe they're more weary where they don't stay all year round.

Last edited:

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
If you're patient you can train the garden Robin so it feeds from your hand.
What you need is a good supply of meal worms and patience.
Just put a few meal worms, maybe ten feet away, and sit still. When it's got used to that lay them out five feet away. When it's got used to that put some on a table right beside you. And when it's finally got used to that have a few in your open hand, sit still, and it'll come and feed.
Patience, and stillness, is the key.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Type

hunting small birds, continent

into Google, and the first image that comes up is of a pile of dead robins.

:sigh:

To us they are familar garden and woodland friends. They are the first and last to sing in the day, they are bright and quick and clever and the last thing any of us would think of doing is killing one.
Open up the compost bins and there's a bright flutter of inquisitive feathers hopping around like a child at a sweetie shop :)

Apparently they evolved to follow the creatures that root around and dig up the soil; pigs, foxes, badgers, us :)

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
We did a walk around Lake District and stopped at a picnic table near Skelwith Bridge for a brunch. Skipped breakfast until it dried up a bit. We sat there eating noodles and cereal bars. Plus feeding a nice Robin that chased the chaffinches off to feed from our hands. Lovely birds!

Reactions: Toddy

Winnet

Forager
Oct 5, 2011
Aberdeen
A visitor at work the other week.

G
9a98030327d82103f8ac4f095ddbbaf8.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

saxonaxe

Nomad
Sep 29, 2018
SW Wales
My garden watchman collecting his wages. When I open the back door to leave the cottage he appears, and I have to remember to keep something in my pocket for when I arrive home.
Just as a point of interest, if I go out on my motorbike and enter the back garden after a ride out still wearing my bike helmet, he stays hidden, until I remove my helmet..Human recognition, I wonder?
I'm probably the only Biker with bread crumbs or Meal Worms in his pocket as part of his riding gear. :laugh:

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Apparently they evolved to follow the creatures that root around and dig up the soil; pigs, foxes, badgers, us :)
I tend to think their song isn't a warning but the robin telly me to "dog piggy, dig" when I'm out in the garden. Robins always tend to follow me about when I'm digging or moving stuff in the garden.

Wrens on the other hand, are telling me to get lost.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I think so too :) I don't think they're chasing me off, or warning me away, but I do feel as though they're kind of edging me out of the way sometimes :) as though I'm going too slowly for them, usually when I turn up something small and wriggly.
I opened up a pot that was infested with vine weevils :sigh: and there were two of them, neat and fast as anything, nipping in and picking them out.
I broke open what was left of the root ball and was rather chuffed to leave them to it. :finger:

Wrens seem to be happy rooting through the ivy covered fence and the hedge looking for spiders. Quite happy to see them too.

Both seem to like the woodlice though.

M

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Nobody put their hand up for the last of my grapes so the robins coming through were in the vines this morning when I got up. Won't take them 12 hours to clear them off.

I'll leave the pruning until March. In turn, I'll teach the pruner how to start cuttings/prunings that they can sell in the community market, in July. I would start 70-100 each spring and usually sell out, even with people coming by my house mid week, not market day.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Are your robins the same as our robins ?
Ours are small birds, smaller than blackbirds, thrushes and starlings. I don't think they could manage to eat a whole grape. I've seen one pretty much choke on a peanut.

Edit; I've just googled, and the N. American 'robin' is a thrush not a flycatcher like the European one. Bigger bird entirely. Ours are very territorial too.

Reactions: Robbi

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Correct. Our robins are big thrushes, plus the fact that my grapes are small, like a Pinot Noir. Destemming 40 kg of those is a labor of love.

One hard, sharp peck in the top of the head and a Raven will kill a robin. They gang up to dismember it and fly away with pieces. Damnedst thing I ever saw. Must be good road-kill, very few Ravens in the village. They flock in during really bad winter blizzard spells.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE